Cart emulator progress thread

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

rephlex303
Re: Cart emulator progress thread

Post by rephlex303 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Marshallh, I've finally got round to connecting the bank jumper and now I can't get the N64drive to do anything. I'm using a monitor with SVIDEO input, so if the N64 is running in NTSC it could be that.. I've flashed the firmware and when I tried to flash the bootloader, the program crashed - I'm running Win8 x64. I haven't tried the drive on any other consoles so it could be a fault with that - I'll give it a go when I get my other console - but this console still plays games fine. Ill check supply rails with a scope and see if they look OK..
Have you got any ideas - I've got access to a decent microscope so would it be worth looking for flux etc between the traces?
Also what does the button S1 and LED do - when I first power up the console the LED flashes for a second and then goes off.
Thanks,
Nick

rephlex303

Post by rephlex303 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:46 pm

I've managed to get it working with marshallsh help. I soldered in a new 7101, reflashed the bootloader on a winxp machine and removed the bank jumper. I'm happy to live with just being able to play 98% of games...

buttheadrulesagain

Post by buttheadrulesagain » Mon May 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello 64drive followers/owners/creator. Are there any news on future updates? Cheat code support? Better MP3 player? Instructions on how to encode videos for this cart?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

buttheadrulesagain wrote:Hello 64drive followers/owners/creator. Are there any news on future updates? Cheat code support? Better MP3 player? Instructions on how to encode videos for this cart?
I am working on firmware 2.00 right now. It is a complete rewrite from the ground up, addressing many of the very small but still present issues I've noticed over the past 2 years.
Probably the most noticeable improvement will be the automatic write back of saves to the memory card, while you play. So if you forget to hit Reset or lose power, no harm done. While this is a somewhat minor thing it necessitated a completely different approach at the low level.

Gameshark is probably the #1 most requested feature and I will probably work on it once the firmware is out and stable. However if it doesn't work out and ends up half baked then it'll probably get canned.

starlightknight

Post by starlightknight » Wed May 29, 2013 5:57 am

marshallh wrote:Probably the most noticeable improvement will be the automatic write back of saves to the memory card, while you play.
Excellent, I was hoping that would be possible eventually :D I've been spoiled by SD2SNES doing that recently.

Also I had one question - awhile back, i think in 1.08 or so- there were release notes saying you attempted to fix the DK64 save issue with the native save type. Did it ever get confirmed that the fix worked? I was thinking about replaying soon and would prefer to use the native save format if i can, but it'd be quite depressing to get my save corrupted lol.

marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm

As far as I can tell the DK64 save issue is actually just a particularly bad case of a bug in my implementation. It must be the way that it accesses it that it fails often enough (or it could be an actual almost bug in the game itself). I am taking a look at this in the firmware rewrite.

Anyway I finished the manual for the 64drive.

http://64drive.retroactive.be/64drive_manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It contains all the small bits of info that newcomers may not have learned of, and some background information.

buttheadrulesagain

Post by buttheadrulesagain » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Hello Marshall! Hope you're doing ok. I just want to report that I can't save my progress with Wave Race 64. I do press reset and all, and it's the only game I have problem with so far. Also, I have a suggestion for the next firmware: it'd be cool to have a combination of buttons reset the console and return to the 64drive menu. Yeah, I'm lazy :) .

regards

Jorge

KyoufuNoDaio

Post by KyoufuNoDaio » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Any progress updates on firmware 2.0?

User

Post by User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:51 am

I hope it´s ok when i post info that marshallh sent me last week:
marshallh wrote:I have made some progress on FW 2.0 with testing of basic SDRAM read/write and USB support. It should be more robust.
Both these (64drive FW 2.0 & HDMI Adapter) have been put on the back burner until I've worked through my other (unrelated) commitments first.

KyoufuNoDaio

Post by KyoufuNoDaio » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 pm

User wrote:I hope it´s ok when i post info that marshallh sent me last week:
marshallh wrote:I have made some progress on FW 2.0 with testing of basic SDRAM read/write and USB support. It should be more robust.
Both these (64drive FW 2.0 & HDMI Adapter) have been put on the back burner until I've worked through my other (unrelated) commitments first.
Good to hear it's still being worked on, thanks for the info!

buttheadrulesagain

Post by buttheadrulesagain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 am

Is anyone also having problems with Wave Race saving?

marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 am

buttheadrulesagain wrote:Is anyone also having problems with Wave Race saving?
Is the problem repeatable? Or is it something that happens very occasionally?
Email me a EEP save file at the support address and I'll try to replicate it.

buttheadrulesagain

Post by buttheadrulesagain » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm

marshallh wrote:
buttheadrulesagain wrote:Is anyone also having problems with Wave Race saving?
Is the problem repeatable? Or is it something that happens very occasionally?
Email me a EEP save file at the support address and I'll try to replicate it.
I was using a z64 ROM (I don't remember where I got it from). Now I'm using a n64 ROM from Emuparadise, and it saves correctly.

User

Post by User » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

64drive Menu
Version 1.11c, 04/10/14

BUGFIXES:

- Fixed improper truncation of filenames in virtual
pak display
- Added save support for several Japanese titles

FEATURES:

- None