Cart emulator progress thread

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
Re: Cart emulator progress thread

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

FLAPJACKDAN wrote:It says that the ever drive requires a CIC chip from a cart. Can someone tell me what a CIC chip is?
:facepalm: See the the back side of the cart? It is the bottom left chip with 8x8 pins and it says NINTENDO on it and CIC-NUS-6102.

Marshalls does not require this. At least I think...

He needs to post some information to outline the better aspects of his :!:

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:
Haunted360 wrote:Why would you trim it down?
To make it smaller, obviously. :roll:
Do you not get portablizing?
hahahaha I guess. But it is pretty small as it is and I don't think you would be able to trim it down anymore.

You may be able to trim the top by removing the edge connector and trimming down the pins for the N64 deck. A total maybe of 2mm or so...

Look at the schematic Marshall posted :wink:

buttheadrulesagain

Post by buttheadrulesagain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:02 pm

So, is release still far from now? Will the people that subscribed to the newsletter get the notice with some anticipation, or we'll have to get lucky to be in front of the computer to buy one?

spinout
Portablizer

Post by spinout » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Haunted360 wrote:
FLAPJACKDAN wrote:It says that the ever drive requires a CIC chip from a cart. Can someone tell me what a CIC chip is?
:facepalm: See the the back side of the cart? It is the bottom left chip with 8x8 pins and it says NINTENDO on it and CIC-NUS-6102.

The 64drive comes with a standard 6102 CIC. For more information on CICs, check http://retroactive.be/cic/. Dr. Decapitator still hasn't gotten back to LordNlpt, and until then, every n64 flash cartridge will require either a separate boot cartridge or a CIC installed. The n64 just won't boot without a CIC.

Also: marshallh's 64drive is the best out there, and well worth the wait and cost. It features a throughly developed GUI menu - which allows for booting any N64 game, and forcing the CIC and save type (all of which are supported), has a built-in NES emulator, and an MP3 player just to top it off. The bootloader, firmware and menu have all been throughly tested and tweaked accordingly. The USB loading is also very handy for game development, the loader could be launched straight from a Makefile upon successful compilation of a game.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 am

Also, is there a confirmed SD/microSD slot? I know the board looked like it had one, but I want it to be confirmed.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 am

... and there we go. Marshalls is the better option to buy.

- Built in NES emulation,
- Support for .MP3's,
- Built in default 6102 CIC,
- USB data link to PC for uploading homebrew games,
- Built in Graphical User Interface (GUI) for easy navigation and a smooth menu experience,
- Packaged in a N64 cartridge with the official Retroactive label
- Loads software off a CompactFlash memory card,
- The GUI will let you organize files and folders to your choosing, and use the menu to make a selection,
- Most games load in 2-3 seconds,
- Handles saving automatically,
- Supports 99.9% of all known images,
- No additional dongles or cables required to update features,
- Much more features described on his website at http://64drive.retroactive.be/

For homebrew development it will let you;

- Load over USB 2.0 at 7-8 megabytes/second
- 64Mbytes (512Mbits) of SDRAM (If you still need more space, your code while running on the N64 can load data from the memory card)

http://retroactive.be/

There you go Marshall :roll: That should help some people out with confusion :? (confirm this I guess as there are most likely errors)

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 am

The 64drive comes with a standard 6102 CIC. For more information on CICs, check http://retroactive.be/cic/. Dr. Decapitator still hasn't gotten back to LordNlpt, and until then, every n64 flash cartridge will require either a separate boot cartridge or a CIC installed. The n64 just won't boot without a CIC.
Trying to reverse engineer the CIC huh. I sure hope you do and get that out of the way.

chunky

Post by chunky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 am

Haunted360 wrote: - Built in default 6102 CIC,

Are these two things related?
i.e. Will the games that use the 6105 [Banjo Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, etc] not load?
Or is there some fancy electronic wizardry to get around this? If so, what does that 0.1% include? Obscure bootlegs?

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 am

I don't know. Nintendo 64 is not my area so I do not know what the 6102 actually does and this is not my project. Sorry.

This is something Marshall has to tell everyone and explain...

neverused

Post by neverused » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 am

Haunted360 wrote:There you go Marshall :roll: That should help some people out with confusion :? (confirm this I guess as there are most likely errors)
Kind of smug aren't you? He doesn't have to jump at every request for more details, people can read the info on his page too.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:04 am

chunky wrote:
Haunted360 wrote: - Built in default 6102 CIC,

Are these two things related?
i.e. Will the games that use the 6105 [Banjo Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, etc] not load?
Or is there some fancy electronic wizardry to get around this? If so, what does that 0.1% include? Obscure bootlegs?
No, it should work fine with all game images. Unless I'm mistaken, the 6102 CIC allows the menu to boot, and when a game is loaded, it does a soft reset that doesn't again check the CIC.

I would take the '99.9%' to mean that it works with all retail games and everything else he's thrown at it, but conceivably some image could exist that wouldn't be supported.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Haunted360 wrote:

that was definitely not worth a facepalm. he asked what it was, not where it was located on the board. you didn't even answer his question. don't use facepalm when someone asks a question that is legitimate and is not something obvious that everyone should know, only use itwhen someone "fails".
:facepalm:

EDIT:and if you didn't notice, both carts have it.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:34 pm

that was definitely not worth a facepalm. he asked what it was, not where it was located on the board. you didn't even answer his question. don't use facepalm when someone asks a question that is legitimate and is not something obvious that everyone should know, only use itwhen someone "fails".
:facepalm:
EDIT:and if you didn't notice, both carts have it.
YEA, HE ASKED WHAT IT WAS. NOT WHAT IT DOES :facepalm:

Kind of smug aren't you? He doesn't have to jump at every request for more details, people can read the info on his page too.
Yea well he missed some information like NES emulation and stuff. Doing him a favor if you ask me.

So how about we keep this ON TOPIC huh, and not bicker like 2 year olds :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thanks for the message Eagle. That cleared it up.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Haunted360

Shut. Up.
Image Image

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Quit it, guys; this is exactly why the old topic got moved.