N64p General Tips and Recommendations?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Hooblah2u2
N64p General Tips and Recommendations?

Post by Hooblah2u2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Well after about a week of searching a learning, my buddy and I have decided to take on the project of making a N64p! We have just about all the materials (except for the TI piece (coming in), some wires and resistors (quick trip to radio shack), and a dremel (sp?)) and will begin following Bacterias guide soon!

There are, like any hobby or skill, tips and tricks that can make the job much easier, but aren't necessarily categorized.

What are some of the tricks you guys have discovered from your modding experiences? Easy ways to hook things up? How to avoid fryage? What to use where?

Thanks!

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: N64p General Tips and Recommendations?

Post by jdmlight » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:51 pm

This thread went over a lot of the basics, with a bunch of handy tips and tricks. I would suggest starting with Ben's book (well if you can find it for less than the $120 Amazon wants for a used one) and this thread:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=40708
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

dsv101
360 GamerTag:Dsv101

Post by dsv101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:58 pm

i recommend after doing any changes or soldering to the board you test it with a tv. I say this because then you know exactly what you did wrong, you then can undo it, and hope you didn't fry the board. Thats what ive been doing so far in my n64p project and i still have yet to need a new board. Start with the cart relocation if you are including it, and then redo it. Hope i gave you some good tips.

ZmasherZ
360 GamerTag:thesam256

Post by ZmasherZ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:22 pm

i recamend to not trim the board very much on your first portable
who says nothing is imposible i have been doing it for the last 2 hours

Oracletriplex

Post by Oracletriplex » Tue May 10, 2011 1:20 am

My advice is try not to solder directly to the board as much as possible. Leave metal stubs for the controller pins and the video\power.

And check your voltage, then check it again before you plug it into you board.

Also molex connectors. Get them from dead hard drives and power supplies. They work wonders and you can follow the ATA power supply guide for power.

Red = 3.3v-5v

Orange\Yellow = 12v

Black = Ground

I've got one going into my power regulator and one coming out of it. One coming from my switch and one going into the N64. They are also very easy to connect and disconnect for when testing components.

I should get a job as a molex salesman.