N64 Portable in progress.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

BringMeTheLight
PSN Username:BringMeTheLight
360 GamerTag:BringMeTheLight
N64 Portable in progress.

Post by BringMeTheLight » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 am

Basically this is my first n64 portable.
I will be posting more pictures everytime i get further with the project.
LOL at my bare foot

I have the n64 running off of the same power supply and have extended the cartridge slot. i havent purchased a decent battery yet so for the moment i am running it off a 7.2 wall supply.

Here i have started the case, still need to make adjustments like sanding and painting. just thought i would assemble to see how it all fits.

so i decided to see how it all fits, still yet to attatch the player 2 port.

it is running fine here, but there is a problem i am yet to accomplish, when i actualy start playing a game the power resets. im guessing it may be somthing to do with the heatsinks, maby i need to install the fan.

still a fair bit of work involved. so check back soon and i shall have mor pics.
Last edited by BringMeTheLight on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Life of Brian

Re: N64 Portable in progress.

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 am

So far so good! I wonder how it will be with the joystick in the middle like that. Of course, the N64 controller was always awkward so you're not making it any worse... :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

BringMeTheLight

Post by BringMeTheLight » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 am

haha yes the origonal plan was to place it below the D-pad. But i kind of like the idear of the controls looking pretty much the same as the origonal n64 controler. :)

also the casing is fairly slim and light so its actualy not to bad.
:wink:

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 am

It looks as if you used a plastic pencil case to put the n64 in. If you did, how is it holding up? Is it easy to take apart for easy troubleshooting?

BringMeTheLight

Post by BringMeTheLight » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:34 am

It's actualy made from two lunchboxes, I just used the top halfs of each,(hence the orenge and green). In the pictures I have only fixed it with hot glue and some plastic strips. Once I connect a fan and player 2 port I shall paint it. There are various ways of securing the two halfs together but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:51 am

Before you paint, please spend some more time on sanding and using spot filler! The result will be so worth it. Try to get the transition from controller plastic to case plastic as smooth as possible.

Other than that, pretty sweet case design!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I had exactly the same idea as you with exactly the same poundstore lunch boxes, only mine were purple and green. (in the backgound of this pic)>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58096688@N04/5418935946/ . Decided against it in the end but this looks good. Great minds think alike!

BringMeTheLight

Post by BringMeTheLight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:12 am

Life of Brian wrote:Before you paint, please spend some more time on sanding and using spot filler! The result will be so worth it. Try to get the transition from controller plastic to case plastic as smooth as possible.

Other than that, pretty sweet case design!
Yeah it is pretty messy right now. Thats a really good idea actualy, think i will put more epoxy puty on and sand really smooth. will be worth it in the end.
cheers :mrgreen:

BringMeTheLight

Post by BringMeTheLight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:16 am

0uttake wrote:I had exactly the same idea as you with exactly the same poundstore lunch boxes, only mine were purple and green. (in the backgound of this pic)>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58096688@N04/5418935946/ . Decided against it in the end but this looks good. Great minds think alike!
Ahh yes thats it. pound store! haha the best part is i only decided to make it from that as a temporary case but its actualy come out fairly well concidering ha.
and yes great minds do think alike. :wink: