Reset switch methods.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

DiscoPanda
Reset switch methods.

Post by DiscoPanda » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 am

I've noticed two different methds used for adding a reset switch to a Dreamcast.

One is simply adding a NC pushbutton in series with the power button. The other involves adding a NO pushbutton to ground a specific solder pad on the motherboard.

What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages to each method? Obviously for the NC pushbutton, it has to be rated for 120VAC, and you can use much thinner wires for the NO pushbutton method.

Is one method any better or worse for the hardware?

I'm also slightly curious about why grounding that pad causes a reset. Is resetting the console that point's only real purpose, or is it tricking the DC into thinking it needs to reset? (Like it thinks the fan isn't spinning, or that some other major fault has occurred?)

Mario

Re: Reset switch methods.

Post by Mario » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 am

Cycling power quickly is almost never a good idea in any electrical system, so I wouldn't go with that.

I have put a reset button in my Dreamcast using that pad and here's what I can tell you.
When I press it, the Dreamcast does a nice reboot; it's as if I just powered up the console. When I hold it down, the screen goes black and audio stops, but the disk continues to spin. After I let go it reboots nicely.

I'm not sure what that pad exactly is for. Maybe it really is a reset pad for testing purposes, but they just never put in a reset button in the final console.

I think it's safe, so I say go ahead and do it.