Any lists of mods you guys have I can do?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Zephyrr
Any lists of mods you guys have I can do?

Post by Zephyrr » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 am

I want to get another Dreamcast and start hacking it up and adding mods, such as the memory card reader. Essentially I guess you could say I want to make a super Dreamcast, I've got a few ideas in mind of what I'd like to do but I'll take anything.I'd like to mainly add sd card reader,wireless controllers with built in receiver, internal memory upgrade to save games, and maybe a new case completely different from the old one.

VampiroMortis
360 GamerTag:Vampiro Mortis

Re: Any lists of mods you guys have I can do?

Post by VampiroMortis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:22 pm

it all sounds good, is it going to be like a new laptop style mod?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:14 pm

I actually completed a bunch of Dreamcast mods about a week ago. You can check 'em out here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 76#p440676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's my opinions on the mods I did:
Reset button - Really, really useful. It's super-easy to do, and is much easier than cycling the power on the DC. Sega should have had one in the first place.

SD Card Slot - To properly use this, you need to burn a copy of DreamShell. With an SD card and DreamShell, you can do a lot of things. You can copy files to and from VMU's, boot games from the SD card, and boot homebrew from the SD card.
Now, most games do not work properly from the SD card, so don't count on that working well. But, almost all the homebrew I've tried works perfectly, and it saves me from burning disks for any of them. I have NesterDC running from it, and it's great.

VGA - I love VGA on the Dreamcast. It looks really awesome, especially on an HDTV. If you want to do this, though, put the VGA port on the other side of the disk drive, next to the power supply. It is VERY difficult to make sure the wires are not in the way of anything and get it closed without bulging.

Overclock Switch: Mostly for show, and just to say you did. If you try to access the VMU while it is overclocked and the VMU is not overclocked as well, it will not read it and will usually corrupt the data. Really, the only thing this is good for is SNES emulation (but then you can't save...) and playing movies with DC Playa or something.

As for your ideas, I would scrap the wireless controller idea. Unless you have a lot of experience with microcontrollers and their programming, you will never be able to get this to work.

Internal VMU? Good idea, but there are couple problems. First, you would need to take apart a DC controller, wire the VMU to it, and wire the controller to a port. The case is pretty cramped as it is, and you would have a heck of a time trying to fit that stuff inside. Plus, unless you wire it to an unused port, it's going to interfere with the controller you plug in and neither device would work. You could wire it to player four, but some games only support saving and loading from the 1st player port.

A new case could be cool. That would probably be the easiest of your ideas.

Hope that helps!

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 pm

i know a lot of guys complain about the no reset button, but if you hold down all four abxy buttons and hit start, the dreamcast will reset.... didja kno that?