t64 Resurrection

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

kibble
Re: t64 Resurrection

Post by kibble » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:30 am

Triton wrote:you wont need the video chip because you're going to be driving a digital LCD using something else. am I fairly close to the mark on that? :lol:
Electric Rain wrote:This is indeed quite obvious. Sorry kibble. :P
Nice try, guys, but the digital video is something that I had mentioned back in the old thread that I would be attempting anyway. That's actually not the reason why it's missing from this board. :wink: I'm pending some materials and parts and hopefully soon I'll show why it's missing.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 am

consider my interest piqued! this is one of the best project threads on benheck. i love stuff thats on the bleeding edge of portable technology :lol:

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 pm

I know why you're doing it, but I won't spoil it. :o
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

kibble

Post by kibble » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:I know why you're doing it, but I won't spoil it. :o
Oh really now? Go ahead and take a stab at it, or PM me if you'd like, but I haven't told anyone what I'm doing. :P

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Digital out? HDMI or something? No... HDMI would be stupid... DVI? Err... pointless... I've got nothing.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

kibble wrote:
jjhammerstein wrote:I know why you're doing it, but I won't spoil it. :o
Oh really now? Go ahead and take a stab at it, or PM me if you'd like, but I haven't told anyone what I'm doing. :P
PM'd you what I know. I don't know the details, but damn is it exciting. What LCD will you be using?
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:PM'd you what I know. I don't know the details, but damn is it exciting. What LCD will you be using?
Not quite. What you PM'd me about is actually the same thing they were talking about in here.

The LCD in this pic:

I managed to figure out the best method of grounding the cart slot, for my purposes at least. Turns out that if I have one ground on the left side and another on the right side, all the games work just fine. Just increasing the size of the ground wire at one point doesn't do anything and the games won't load most of the time (except Mario Kart). I was experimenting to see how much wire I would need and used the pieces of kynar I had been using to test. I had to use three pieces of kynar on the left side to even get that bastard Tetrisphere cart to load! Most other games were fine with just the black ground wire and two pieces of kynar. The games also prefer to have the grounding point close to the power supply ground. If you place them too far away the games won't load.

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Nothing "huge", but I thought I would post up my successful RDRAM transplant. I know how much we all like to see pics! :D I replaced both 18M chips on the main board with two 36Mbit chips and it works great, all that's needed is the jumper pack in the expansion port.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Err... replaced the 18M chips with 32M ones? What unit of measurement are you using? The N64 has two 2MB RDRAM chips and the Expansion Pak has a single 4MB chip Are you saying you replaced the two 2MB chips with two 4MB chips, successfully eliminating the need for a third (Expansion Pak) chip while still providing a full 8MB of RAM? If that's what you're saying, then cool. If not, WTF are you talking about? :lol:

I've done my own research into miniaturizing the N64 mobo (rebuilding it completely, that is) and done some brainstorming with Marshall. What I always come back to is the RAM. I've desperately searched for a suitable 8MB chip - so there only needs to be ONE chip - but I'm not sure if such a thing even exists. Beyond RDRAM being completely obsolete, the biggest problem is the fact that these ICs use a 9-bit bus running at 500MHz! What kind of specs are those?! :shock: I've found 8MB RDRAM ICs, but they're 8-bit buses (like a normal f**king chip) running at slower speeds. :wtf:

EDIT: Right... you're referring to their model numbers. ^-^' 'Kay got it. Nevermind. Your next step is to get rid of the Jumper Pak entirely and find a new place to solder on those terminating pull up resistors and decoupling caps... good luck with that. :lol:

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:21 pm

FFFFFUUUUUUU I accidentally deleted what I had written.... here goes again.
Electric Rain wrote:EDIT: Right... you're referring to their model numbers.
It's not just the model numbers, 36Mbit is 36 Million bits, not bytes, 18Mbit, etc. 4 and 2Mbyte respectively. The "b" whether capital or lower case makes a difference; MB = Mega Byte, Mb = Mega bit. You divide the Mbit number by 8 to get MBytes. Just like a 1Mbit RAM chip can also be referred to as a 128KByte chip. Similarly, a 12V lead acid battery could be referred to as a 6 Cell lead acid as they're usually 2V per cell.
Electric Rain wrote:Your next step is to get rid of the Jumper Pak entirely and find a new place to solder on those terminating pull up resistors and decoupling caps... good luck with that. :lol:
I find your lack of faith disturbing. Image

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 pm

kibble wrote:FFFFFUUUUUUU I accidentally deleted what I had written.... here goes again.
Electric Rain wrote:EDIT: Right... you're referring to their model numbers.
It's not just the model numbers, 36Mbit is 36 Million bits, not bytes, 18Mbit, etc. 4 and 2Mbyte respectively. The "b" whether capital or lower case makes a difference; MB = Mega Byte, Mb = Mega bit. You divide the Mbit number by 8 to get MBytes. Just like a 1Mbit RAM chip can also be referred to as a 128KByte chip. Similarly, a 12V lead acid battery could be referred to as a 6 Cell lead acid as they're usually 2V per cell.
Dude, I know all of these things. Problem is, 36 divided by 8 is 4.5, and 18 divided by 8 is 2.25, so I don't really understand the naming scheme. :lol:

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 am

Electric Rain wrote:Your next step is to get rid of the Jumper Pak entirely and find a new place to solder on those terminating pull up resistors and decoupling caps... good luck with that. :lol:
Kibble wrote:I find your lack of faith disturbing. Image
My n64 has been sitting around for the past few months waiting for this step to be completed. It's a pain trying to get all of the terminating resistors soldered on correctly :x.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 am

stuntpenguin007 wrote:
Kibble wrote:I find your lack of faith disturbing. Image
My n64 has been sitting around for the past few months waiting for this step to be completed. It's a pain trying to get all of the terminating resistors soldered on correctly :x.
See? :lol:

kibble

Post by kibble » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:14 am

Electric Rain wrote:See? :lol:
And what happens if I tell you that I'm successful?

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 am

kibble wrote:
Electric Rain wrote:See? :lol:
And what happens if I tell you that I'm successful?