Voltage regulator question

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

SNESGuy2
PSN Username:mankeywitz
Voltage regulator question

Post by SNESGuy2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm

After viewing the forums i noticed the voltage regulator of choice for making a n64 portable is the TI PTH08000. However, when i go on their website to order a free sample, they offer the 08000WAH, the 08000WAS, and the 08000WAZ. What is the difference between these models and which one should i buy?

Bizzar1
360 GamerTag:Bizzar1

Re: Voltage regulator question

Post by Bizzar1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Well don't buy any of them. They are FREE samples and while it may sound a bit greedy, just select ALL of the available models. They probably cost Ti a few pennies to make and a multi billion dollar company won't mind a few of us modders "testing" their free samples. I snagged 4 and the only differences between them is the leg height on the in/out solder points. some have no legs, some short, some long and that's it.

AmmoJammo

Post by AmmoJammo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

they will stop providing free samples at all if you all abuse the privilege.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 pm

AmmoJammo wrote:they will stop providing free samples at all if you all abuse the privilege.
It is slightly abusing it, but not bad if you just order a few samples. They have, and will have the samples available so big (or small) companies that may be using many of these in the production of something can order them to verify that it meets their requirements, produce a prototype, or just so they can have a physical device to test/look at. They're usually ordered with the intent of later buying very large quantities, which is why most companies in the field offer fre samples. TI is just very easygoing o their sample policy, to a much greater state than most other companies that I can think of. In short: they're not going to stop offering samples, but if you want a large amount of regulators, you should buy them, rather than abusing TI's free sample policies.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"