A simple portable (complete)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ryguy425425
PSN Username:ryguy425425
360 GamerTag:Lupus Timor
Steam ID:ryguy425425
A simple portable (complete)

Post by ryguy425425 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 pm

I just finished this up a few days ago. This is my first portable, so I wanted to keep it simple. I did this project not for the end result, but to test my abilities. I know what you're going to say, it needs a bigger screen. I partially agree, but I wanted to keep costs low for my first one. It has a 3.5" ebay screen as well as a 2000 mAh battery. I am amazed with the battery life I have gotten so far. I have not run it dead yet, and I estimate that it will last well over 2 hours (I charged it for an hour or two last night, and I have played it for over an hour and a half today (and it takes 5 hours to fully charge)). There aren't any speakers, but there is a headphone jack. The original multi-A/V jack was preserved, in fact this is compatible with every n64 accessory except the original power cord. One advantage to this simple design is that it could be reproduced fairly cheaply.
I brought it to school today and amazed everybody. I think I might have even sold it. If this one is sold I will probably make another using the same design (only probably a 7" screen for multiplayer). I'll post a full build log, probably in the form of a tutorial, when I do make a second one. Overall, the experience was a great way to get started in the world of portabilizing.
I have a few questions for anyone who reads this: What would you pay for something like this? What would you name it :) ?
Thanks for reading!

More pics here: http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/ac25 ... ble%20N64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that the n64 case is no more beat up then when I started, lol. I still have a bit of cosmetic work to do.

Allen

Re: A simple portable (complete)

Post by Allen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm

When I think of portable this done not come to mind but it is portable!

+ 1 for think out sided the box!

What is the swich on the side for?
http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/ac25 ... C01738.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:48 am

I would pay about $100 for it (I'm not interested in buying it, thats just an estimate infact I'm planning on building one of these myself once my exam week is over). As for the name... The Stand64.

MarioOwnsAll

ryguy425425
PSN Username:ryguy425425
360 GamerTag:Lupus Timor
Steam ID:ryguy425425

Post by ryguy425425 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 am

The switch on the side is the main power switch. I was going to solder to a 12v point on the board to power the screen and 3v inverter, but I'm happy with the way this turned out. It's great in the car, or while waiting for another game to load, lol.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

very cool.. yes it does need a bigger screen, but it is still nice. id pay somewhere is the range of $100-120.. you could probably add a paint job and get a few more bucks though.. especially if the controller is painted the same way.
id like to see a tut for this.. wouldn't mind giving something like this a try.
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mymixed

Post by mymixed » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:06 pm

What batteries did you use?