Grape64 FINISHED Pictures and Video on page 2

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer
Grape64 FINISHED Pictures and Video on page 2

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am

I've been working on this for a few weeks now. I'm still making my case, but it's coming along well. I'm going to paint the whole thing transparent purple, thus the name Grape64.

I'm using a 3.5 inch ebay screen and an audio amp i picked up from kohls for 10 bucks. The case is a Plano brand case meant for fishing lures. I had to rip out the padding on the inside and scrub the glue off for a few hours, and then cover it in goo gone to get rid of the residue. The D-pad, Start button, and volume controls are all on a single board that I cannibalized from one of these Tank-Assault games, which I also snagged at goodwill.

The Nintendo logo on the screen bezel just by some random coincidence fits in there perfectly. I got that from one of the 10 broken GBA sps I keep lying around. I'm using the actual Z button section from two first party controllers as the R and Z/L buttons.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Last edited by Pkmnjunky7 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Grape64 worklog

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 am

wow...10 wow's
that looks really flush
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Interesting design, does the audio amp that you are using have solder pads for volume + and - because when I looked it up on google it seems not to have any volume control and uses the volume control from the mp3 player instead.

MarioOwnsAll

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:34 pm

MarioOwnsAll wrote:Interesting design, does the audio amp that you are using have solder pads for volume + and - because when I looked it up on google it seems not to have any volume control and uses the volume control from the mp3 player instead.

MarioOwnsAll
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40835

Yes it does.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Grape N64 = Amazing

SS and Raizer bickering like 2-year-olds, not so. Take it outside, leave it alone, bring it to PM's, I don't care. You guys are mature and responsible, at least pretend to act like it.

EDIT: Ah, OK. It's been cleaned up.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Raizer04 wrote:The flip open aspect of the case looks promising. This way if anything goes wrong "pop" that sucker open fix and close.

Are you planning on painting the clear portion?
I think he's planning on making it transparent purple so yes.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Man, I leave for like 10 mins and a flame war breaks out... lol. I don't think your use of the word "behold" is obnoxious Raizer. Anyways, I'm working on some wiring tonight, I just finished cleaning my workspace out and throwing out a bunch of old junk.

Time for a few questions.

1. Should I include a built in memory card pack?
2. Should i include a built in rumble pack?
3. If i exclude both of these, are there any super memorable games I will miss out on? I googled it and couldn't find anything that required rumble, and I couldn't find much info on what games need a memory pack.
4. What does everyone think of incorporating the color yellow here and there for design reasons? I love the color scheme of yellow and purple together. (and to answer anyone who asked, I am painting this like the controller box)

Thank you anyone who answers!

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Raizer04 wrote:well thanks

and in response to your question, i say do a rumble pack....give it good justice!
Well I guess it all depends on how much room I end up having when I'm nearing completion. I've got some smaller gamecube rumble motors I could use to save some room... If I do include it I'll definitely include an off/on so you'll have the option of using it or not.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 am

Pkmnjunky7 wrote:
Raizer04 wrote:well thanks

and in response to your question, i say do a rumble pack....give it good justice!
Well I guess it all depends on how much room I end up having when I'm nearing completion. I've got some smaller gamecube rumble motors I could use to save some room... If I do include it I'll definitely include an off/on so you'll have the option of using it or not.
The memory card doesn't take up too much room at all, its the rumble pack that will be the space hog. To answer the color question, I like the idea of yellow and purple together but this is ultimately your project so design it how you see fit.

MarioOwnsAll

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:02 pm

use a cell phone vibrate motor to replace the big one in the rumble pack. i did it as a test in the dreamcast rumble pack and it works great.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm

dragonhead wrote:use a cell phone vibrate motor to replace the big one in the rumble pack. i did it as a test in the dreamcast rumble pack and it works great.
Funny you mention that, I just ripped apart one of my old cell phones and tested the rumble motor out. If anything I'll probably install a couple of these motors right where you hold the system. It wont be an overwhelming rumble, but it will work well enough.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Pkmnjunky7 wrote:
dragonhead wrote:use a cell phone vibrate motor to replace the big one in the rumble pack. i did it as a test in the dreamcast rumble pack and it works great.
Funny you mention that, I just ripped apart one of my old cell phones and tested the rumble motor out. If anything I'll probably install a couple of these motors right where you hold the system. It wont be an overwhelming rumble, but it will work well enough.
yep put 2 in. one near each set of controls and itll work fine. on my dreamcast one, i used one very tiny one and it shakes the whole controller pretty good.

cplexroro

Post by cplexroro » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 pm

mmm... now this is my new favorite i've seen... so sexy!

cplexroro

Post by cplexroro » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:47 pm

mmm... now this is my new favorite i've seen... so sexy!

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:18 am

cplexroro wrote:mmm... now this is my new favorite i've seen... so sexy!
hehe, only need to click it once.