Using camera batteries in a portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Corporal Awesome
Using camera batteries in a portable

Post by Corporal Awesome » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Many people take apart li-ion camera batteries for their portables. Often they come in at about 7.3 volts, so it's just the right amount for certain things. However, why not just attach it on like it was supposed to be? (Without taking it apart?) It would be simpler to change batteries and have an extra if you run out. You might even be able to use the charger that came with it to power it from the socket.

What do you think? Is that possible? Is it a good idea? Does a 14-volt camera battery even exist?
Tell me your ideas.
Last edited by Corporal Awesome on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Link removed due to staleness of thread)

mako321

Re: Using camera batteries in a portable

Post by mako321 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:53 pm

It is very possible.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Yup, that's what I did with this portable: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=21814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Ben's book, he shows how to make a slide in connector for that type of battery. So, it's been done before.
Corporal Awesome wrote:What do you think? Is that possible? Is it a good idea? Does a 14-volt camera battery even exist?
Tell me what you think.
You don't need 14v. 7.4v will do just fine.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Corporal Awesome

Post by Corporal Awesome » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Sounds good! I had a feeling there were no suitably-sized batteries out there. Now if only I could design that socket-to-portable charger...

(slightly offtopic: that SNESp over thar's lookin' mighty sexy, Brian. :) )
(Link removed due to staleness of thread)