my new project n64p with a bad picture :) UPDATE 1/13/11

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

devileyebrows42
my new project n64p with a bad picture :) UPDATE 1/13/11

Post by devileyebrows42 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:26 pm

alright. so ive been a failing modder for 2 years pretty much (except xbox controller ROLs ive done a lot of them successfully) but its ok cause ive learned a lot by failing (believe it or not). However, i have been given the courage to attempt an n64portable which i will call the bonerton 64 (when its done). *note - i am basically copying someone's design because im not creative but it will be blue and will have some extra features

Features:
-A huge case (DC-96p) from polycase so i have room to work with.
- an air mounted/removeable 6600mah sony infolithium L battery
- rewired cartridge slot (duh)
- rewired expansion slot (on the controller not the system)
-small 5v fan
-rear ps1 triggers for L,R, and double Z's
-uncomfortable superpad 64 plus controller
-ps2 zenith screen
-switch between built in controller and player 1
-player 2 port
and kaboom u have a bonerton 64.

earlier today i cut out the shape for the screen and abs cemented it in. i used white out as a template so that i knew where to cut. the abs cement isnt as bad as it looks in the crappy picture. the cement on the t-shirt doesnt do it justice either. this is my first day working on it so dont tell me it looks bad cause i know it does. i just have to let it cure, sand it down, cut out the controller portion, abs controller portion, repeat, abs triggers in, and the case is done. clean, simple, not so elegant, but definitely useable. if i remember ill post updates if anyone is interested.

Update: since yesterday i have cut out the controller portion and the hole for it in the case i will abs it as soon as a i get some kind of filler material. i think im gonna go with the fillers hailraizer used unless anyone has cheaper and equally effective options. any suggestions? ill be working on it later tonight as well so i might include a youtube video for your viewing needs.

by the way...i have been in a metal arts class in school learning how to work with metals (although its a little boring cause we only make jewelry) and i found the perfect thing to cut plastics and metals effectively and accurately in almost any shape. A Metal saw!!!! it has a really small thin blade so it can make turns really easily and accurately. and the cuts come out perfect. just thought i would share some of my experience with you all to possibly aid in portablizing. ill find a picture of one at some point but its so perfect

Last edited by devileyebrows42 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I can eat so many frosted flakes before i've had tuna"
"Im not a dentist but i do brush my teeth twice a day"
The only things that are free in life are brochures, but nobody wants them.

gamax92

Re: my new project n64p with a bad picture :)

Post by gamax92 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Could that picture get any worse ... ... ...
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

devileyebrows42

Post by devileyebrows42 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 pm

another update with picture! I used my epoxy filler (JB weld) to fill in the major gaps on the front of the case. i need thicker wire though to rewire the cartridge slot because my 30 gauge wire keeps breaking at the solder points.

Ive been posting more updates on bacteria's site so if you want to see more pictures look there but ill post one here for you all to see as well. (Not shown but i abs cemented in the psone triggers into the back of the case and cut out the hole for the small 5v fan and drilled some holes for the battery tabs.

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I like it.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Great job with the ABS!

Because ABS cement is such a pain to sand, what I have started doing is using flex filler to cement the controller/screen/etc in FIRST. Then when it dries, I cover the inside portion of the case with ABS cement to cement everything in and fill in the areas on the inside where the flex filler was.....if that makes sense.

Basically, then you would only have to sand flex filler which is MUCH easier to sand than ABS. I started doing this towards the end of my case modding on the Ccube. It really saves time :)

/unwarranted lecture
Image Image

devileyebrows42

Post by devileyebrows42 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:43 am

thanks for the info ill keep it in mind. is flex filler used to fill in low spots? since my last update ive sanded it down a decent amount and need some kind of material to fill in low spots to make it have a nice finish. anyone know of any good stuff. links would be nice.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Tchay wrote:Great job with the ABS!

Because ABS cement is such a pain to sand, what I have started doing is using flex filler to cement the controller/screen/etc in FIRST. Then when it dries, I cover the inside portion of the case with ABS cement to cement everything in and fill in the areas on the inside where the flex filler was.....if that makes sense.

Basically, then you would only have to sand flex filler which is MUCH easier to sand than ABS. I started doing this towards the end of my case modding on the Ccube. It really saves time :)

/unwarranted lecture
I do it the other way around. ABS on the inside first, then flex filler on the outside. either works. Just a preference :P
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

devileyebrows42

Post by devileyebrows42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Update!!! Put on first coat of blue paint on the case. I havent painted the sides yet. those are going to be red. Ive sanded the case a lot today but im not finished. im going to sand it more soon since i can see the flaws. Have some pictures for your viewing needs :D

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/sprayn64p2.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img256.imageshack.us/i/sprayn64p.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tchay

Re: my new project n64p with a bad picture :) UPDATE 12/20/10

Post by Tchay » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:01 am

Sorry for the late reply. For low spots, use "Glazing and Spot Putty" Just use very small amounts to get the small cracks and stuff that the filler wont get.

ABS then Flex filler then putty then 1000 coats of paint.

Works GREAT. Used it on my Ccube and it gets rid of pretty much all flaws.

****Credits to hailrazer for the technique*****

EDIT!!!!! - even after you paint, you can still apply the putty to cover cracks and flaws.
Image Image

devileyebrows42

Re: my new project n64p with a bad picture :) UPDATE 1/13/11

Post by devileyebrows42 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am

update: huge amount of progress made. i made my main thread on the bacteria forums because i get a lot of feedback but i thought i would update this thread as well. There are a lot more pictures there.
Alright here is what ive done since that crappy picture: nearly finished the case (just need to respray paint then im done) i sanded all off the original blue paint off because i wanted to sand more and make it smoother which was done fairly successfully and i spray painted it red instead. I cut out all of the holes including the power switch, av-out, 2nd player port wall power jack and i epoxied and sanded all of them smooth. Also epoxied in the fan and sanded it. Prewired practically everything except the screen. what i mean by this is a attached wires to the components like i wired up the regulator and tested it (working:outputs 3.1 volts), attached loose wires to the wall power jack, fan, 2nd player port, and av-out.
Things left to do: Im going to finish spray painting the case tonight. Then it will need to dry over the weekend. then i'll wire the thing up and im done. here are some better pictures of the final products (except im going to drill holes in the bottom right corner of the front of the case and abs cement the n64 logo from the back). have some pictures and expect a completed portable hopefully in a few days!
Attachments
wall power jack.jpg
wall power jack.jpg (83.29KiB)Viewed 11656 times
finished case pic 2.jpg
finished case pic 2.jpg (191.58KiB)Viewed 11656 times
finished case pic1.jpg
finished case pic1.jpg (120.44KiB)Viewed 11656 times

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Little rough around the screen but otherwise it looks really good, those controller ports are going to be nice.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 am

Its not too late to smooth out those cracks if you want. just sand around those areas and rub spot putty in the cracks, then sand accordingly. Only if you want to :D
Image Image