Where do I connect LED's - (Vent lighting)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

liam17
Where do I connect LED's - (Vent lighting)

Post by liam17 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 am

Hi,

I am trying to add LED's to illuminate the vents on my N64. I have already switched the standard red LED for a blue one, but now want to get some light coming out of the vents. Where on the board to I attach these? I want to attach them after the switch so that they are only on when the N64 is on.

I dont have much knowledge of technical terms so can try and be as clear as possible :) Looking forward to your replies! :mrgreen:

Note:
I made a post the yesterday to ask what was wrong with my other N64. Well I have since bought another one and have repeated the exact same thing on this one and it works fine (except I couldn't get vent LED's to light up :? ). So it appears that my other N64 is faulty :wtf: but I will keep it for spares.

liam17

Re: Where do I connect LED's - (Vent lighting)

Post by liam17 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:17 am

I have trawled the internet looking for guides on this, I cant find anything :wtf:

hopefully some one can give me some advice asap because I want to get cracking with it lol.....I'm a fisherman and yet very impatient when it comes to this.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

Measure around with a multimeter, looking for a 3.3v supply - there is a pin onthe back labeled 3.3v, solder from there to ground.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:04 am

LOL.

There is a RED LED (as mine is - PAL / Europe) already on the board.

Just solder to that.

If not, then yes. Solder to the 3.3 Volt line (as long as you have a 3 Volt LED that is).

liam17

Post by liam17 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:09 am

Snipeye wrote:Measure around with a multimeter, looking for a 3.3v supply - there is a pin onthe back labeled 3.3v, solder from there to ground.
I had found the 3.3v line and the pin labelled 3.3v but the trouble is connecting to this spot leaves the LED on continually providing the N64 is plugged in. I was hoping to find one after the switch....which I did in the end, I just probed around until I found a suitable spot :) like I said....not much experience lol

Hrduncan
Portablizer

Post by Hrduncan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:26 pm

haha i hooked mine up before the switch but then i just added a switch on the side and it worked out fine
check out my blog!

http://hrduncan.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bush

Post by Bush » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Try what haunted said, that LED is operated via the power switch, and you can just solder to the LED pins already on the board.

liam17

Post by liam17 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:20 am

Bush wrote:Try what haunted said, that LED is operated via the power switch, and you can just solder to the LED pins already on the board.
Thanks I found a point of 3.3v just after the switch at the controller ports 1 & 2 so connected them there. And then found another going to the right hand side controllers port 3 & 4 and connected the other half here. Ran them all back to the ground. Works great!

I couldn't run all of my LED's off the spot where the red stock LED is already placed. I could only run a maximum of 2 LED from this point for some reason.....

All sorted now, looks great :D

SackAttack

Post by SackAttack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 am

Did you tie any resistors to the led's when you soldered them to the board?

liam17

Post by liam17 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 pm

No I didn't, I am confident that they don't need one attached. Its all working fine right now, so I guess if it goes wrong I will know why.

Thanks for pointing that out though :)