Use other (GC, PS2) controllers on SNES (clone)?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

adolson
PSN Username:adolson
Use other (GC, PS2) controllers on SNES (clone)?

Post by adolson » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:52 am

I know there are adapters to convert SNES pads to use in a GameCube controller port, and there are adapters to use DualShocks on GameCubes, and so on.

My question is, has anyone done the opposite?

I have searched quite a bit, here and on Google, and it's hard to find an adapter or way to make an adapter to use a DualShock 1 or 2 or GameCube controller on an SNES (or in my case, a Retro Duo console, which has SNES controller ports). All of my searches seem to only find the reverse of what I want, which is also what most people seem to want. I know, I'm odd.. :P But my old SNES pads are crap, and the Retro Duo controllers really suck. I'd like to make (or buy) an adapter for either/or. And if I could use a wireless pad with said adapter, that'd be boss (but not a requirement).

If anyone knows if a product to do this exists, I'd really appreciate a link. Or if anyone knows if I splice some wires from a DualShock or GameCube extension cable to the cable from one of the Retro Duo controllers, if that would work, your input would be appreciated.

Life of Brian

Re: Use other (GC, PS2) controllers on SNES (clone)?

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:13 am

It seems like there are a couple of ways to go about this.

From a strictly hardware point of view, you would have to rewire all the buttons to an SNES controller IC for this to work. Otherwise, you have to have something interpreting what the controller is outputting into something the SNES understands. An SNES controller has 5 lines - power, ground, data clock, data latch, and serial data.

This might give you some info about how the SNES controller works: http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/nessnes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this is pretty good info about how a GameCube controller works: http://int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamec ... ontrol.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 am

Short of completely rewiring the controller, the only other option is to use a micro-controller to do the translation. The SNES controller protocol is dead simple, and the GC/N64 protocol seems well documented enough to be able to make a working adapter. I'm working on some controller projects myself, so I don't have the time to do it myself, otherwise I probably would. You should be able to do what you're wanting to do with an Arudino. The SNES side would probably have to be interrupt driven, and it could become a little timing sensitive given that you'd have to receive serial data on one side, convert it, and then send it out serially on the other.

In truth, I'd probably use a SNES controller's IC to handle talking to the SNES so I could off-load some of the processing and just focus on decoding whatever controller you're wanting to use.

adolson

Post by adolson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks for the input.

I find it odd that such simple adapters are sold for just about a dollar that can convert from PS2 to GC, or SNES to GC, or whatever, but nothing commercial seems to exist and it's not as simple to go from GC or PS2 to SNES.

I ordered a couple cheapo SNES pads from eBay, popped one open, and I think it may be best for me to just solder directly onto the board, and shove the board inside an old DualShock pad, linking only the buttons to the SNES board. I haven't opened up a DualShock yet, so I'm not sure if there'd be room or how much I can cut out of there, but the board in this knockoff controller is really quite surprisingly small.

I'll lose a DualShock out of the deal, but one of my DS3s is quite old and the battery life is fading, so maybe that would work, or I've got some old DS2s and DS1s boxed up somewhere.

If I am successful and it works well, I may want to do something similar for one of my TG16 pads, because they're not exactly in great condition these days, and I haven't been able to find any cheap replacements. But I have no idea how the insides of those are - it's been probably 10-15 years since I had one open.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 am

If you have difficulty fitting the SNES controller board into the DualShock, you could take out one of the rumble motors and put in just the SNES controller IC. Here's a wiring diagram: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=17227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just get a box knife or exacto knife, score the circuit board around the IC several times and then snap it apart. Wire your buttons directly to the chip as shown in the diagram.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:28 am

you want to use a PSX controller on a SNES? If so there is a product that does this:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... 6247a4875e

adolson

Post by adolson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 pm

duo_r wrote:you want to use a PSX controller on a SNES? If so there is a product that does this:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... 6247a4875e

Sweet! Many thanks, I will see about ordering this. It's exactly what I was after.

I'm all for projects and stuff, but since the product exists, may as well try for that first, destroy a DualShock later as a last resort.

Cheers!
Life of Brian wrote:If you have difficulty fitting the SNES controller board into the DualShock, you could take out one of the rumble motors and put in just the SNES controller IC. Here's a wiring diagram: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=17227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just get a box knife or exacto knife, score the circuit board around the IC several times and then snap it apart. Wire your buttons directly to the chip as shown in the diagram.
Thanks - I had seen this before, but the clone controller I got doesn't have an IC like that, it's one of those black blobs with stuff inside it. I don't know the technical term for those, but I've seen them before in cheapo electronics.

realyst

Post by realyst » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Sorry to revive the thread, but had a related question. Anyone have any luck using those tototek adapters with the RetroDuo NES mode? A number of buttons, including primarily 'start', get stuck on when I plug it in. The Dual Shock itself doesn't even need to be connected. Was hoping to create a NES, SNES, PS2, PC hybrid box but was hoping to control everything with one set of controllers. Sadly, this has been the sticking point. Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful ^^.

realyst

Post by realyst » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 pm

I should clarify that the Duo's SNES mode works fine. The NES mode is the one with the issues with the adaptor.