FINALLY! SD reader for dreamcast

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

dragonhead
FINALLY! SD reader for dreamcast

Post by dragonhead » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm

LOOOK! :D
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/sd-adapter-for-d ... 37873.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flash the DC with the devbox bios, you could boot straight off the SD card...

and the chinese have started modding and selling dreamcasts
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vga-modified-dre ... 37883.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by dragonhead on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeckoLink

Re: FINALLY!

Post by GeckoLink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 am

that awsome! I can sense smaller dreamcasts in the future

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 am

woh, thats really cool.. i want one
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:31 pm

It's about time that finally got released. People have been putting SD slots into their Dreamcasts forever.

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:21 pm

I would give all of my games, and systems, save my DS, for one of these!! I might even give up my computer for one.......

I shall now embark on a long quest to find out where to get my hands on one of these, and report the links back here, so as to share, because turning one of these into a portable would be beast
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

~+~Doki Doki Tari Desu-Ruby Tuts/Ideas
~+~SeeTheMasterPlay on deviantART - My deviantART

DK

Post by DK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Raizer04 wrote:
GeckoLink wrote:that awsome! I can sense smaller dreamcasts in the future
SAY BYE BYE DISK DRIVE! :twisted:
Still needs the GD-ROmM drive for the boot disc :cry:

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

DK wrote:
Raizer04 wrote:
GeckoLink wrote:that awsome! I can sense smaller dreamcasts in the future
SAY BYE BYE DISK DRIVE! :twisted:
Still needs the GD-ROmM drive for the boot disc :cry:
nope. if you put the modified devbox bios on it you can boot dreamshell directly off the SD card, from there you can load ISOS, but the problem is that only about 40% of games are actually even playable. the rest are just unusably slow. the serial port is just way too slow.
we nee a way to interface directly with the GDROM interface. even if it requires a modified bios and dreamshell (would actually be preferable, because then it doesnt have to emulate the GDROM. just need to write a dreamshell driver to see it.)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 pm

dragonhead wrote:
nope. if you put the modified devbox bios on it you can boot dreamshell directly off the SD card,
And how is that done? The Dreamcast Bios in not flashable.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 pm

hailrazer wrote:
dragonhead wrote:
nope. if you put the modified devbox bios on it you can boot dreamshell directly off the SD card,
And how is that done? The Dreamcast Bios in not flashable.
ah but you can piggyback a flash chip to the bios chip.
see http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=24880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 am

dragonhead wrote:the problem is that only about 40% of games are actually even playable. the rest are just unusably slow. the serial port is just way too slow.
I've heard that the games that have troubles are the ones using CDDA, that is to say streaming audio from CD/GD, so most could be fixed by removing the background music or possibly by someway reducing the bandwidth used by it (dropping sampling rate, going to mono, etc.).

Edit:
Direct links to the relevant info, instead of having to go through the Assembler Games thread:
BIOS mod
After the writable BIOS mod is done, Dreamshell can install itself too it. (See feature list of 4.0.0 Beta 4.)

limpport

Post by limpport » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Acronell wrote:I would give all of my games, and systems, save my DS, for one of these!! I might even give up my computer for one.......

I shall now embark on a long quest to find out where to get my hands on one of these, and report the links back here, so as to share, because turning one of these into a portable would be beast

Like I said before, people have been ALREADY putting SD card slots into their Dreamcasts for a while now. A quick Google search and you can find how REALLY easily. It's not that hard of a mod.

Acronell

Re: FINALLY! SD reader for dreamcast

Post by Acronell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:50 am

Alright, sorry for the wait!
I had to secure one for myself

Here is the link to get yourself one of these sexy beasts: XCDIY VGA Dreamcast

Though, unless you know Chinese, you're going to need some help, and here is the help: Taobao Agent

And with the ability to get these now, huzzah for the mighty portables that shall be able to be built from them!!!!!

EDIT: Don't Use Taobao Agent to purchase one of these, they went all "Holy Angel" and said they won't purchase from the seller because they are "Risky"

Still use them for generic shoppign on Taobao

You'll need to find another Taobao agent of some sort, Google is your friend
Last edited by Acronell on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am

I think I will wait till they find a way to get most of the games running at full speed.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Acronell wrote:Alright, sorry for the wait!

Though, unless you know Chinese, you're going to need some help, and here is the help: Taobao Agent

And with the ability to get these now, huzzah for the mighty portables that shall be able to be built from them!!!!!
How much did it cost for the console including shipping and agent fees (if any)? How's it's compatability? (all regions, etc.?)

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 am

tom61 wrote:
Acronell wrote:Alright, sorry for the wait!

How much did it cost for the console including shipping and agent fees (if any)? How's it's compatability? (all regions, etc.?)
The Pricing including Fees is between 62$ and 65$. But I just got screwed by that agent, because they decided to go all "Holy Angel" on me and made the executive decision to not purchase it for me, because they say the seller is a risk(probably because he mods the systems fresh). So I had to go through a different agent site.

Shipping is about another 50$-60$

Overall not too bad for a Dreamcast in general, not to mention the custom Bios and SD card modification, as well as the other extras that have been added

It's supposed to be region-free and work with games from any region, so I would assume compatability will be fine.

When I get mine in the mail I'll take pics and make notes to post for everyone before they go off to get one of their own