My First Portable - The N65

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Snipeye
Re: My first portable

Post by Snipeye » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Alright, poked around with a multimeter - not gunna work. I'm going to need to buy a different controller - superpad works? (Not superpad plus, just superpad)

And what joystick would everybody recommend? I kinda like the ps1/ps2 ones, but if there's one that works better... I could use the 'click' on the ps1/ps2 ones as z...

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Screen and battery charger hit here today, but I still need to redo the cartridge relocation. I've cleaned off the cart slot thing and the solder terminals, I'm just waiting for the IDE cable and the header to ship now.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Alright, absolutely everything is on it's way. Ordered a new contorller today because the other one was not cooperative, and I'm ready to do this. Total list of things ordered:

Header (Cart slot)
IDE Cable
N64 Controller
PS2 Controller+Extra joysticks+extra caps
Tac switches to control screen (The ones for Brightness/Contrast and whatnot are really LONG atm)

I think that's it, but I'm psyched.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Does anybody have a really great source for Cannon BP-511 batteries? It's what i bought for my project, but from what I understand, it'll only keep it going for a couple of hours, and I want to add some more power. The ebay seller I got them for, however, stopped listing them, and I'm looking for the highest capacity battery for the lowest price - I found a deal that's about 3.6mAh/$0.01 (2000mAh batt * 2 for 11.10), but I'm wondering if anybody can do one better? I'd like to stick with this kind because I already bought a couple.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 pm

I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Parts got here, I started assembly - Put the header in, connected the IDC cable, connected it to the cart slot, hooked up the screen, hooked up the video, held my breath and turned on the power.... nothing. I went and tested it with my screen downstairs, and it would give me a little white flash, then it would do nothing. I tested the little portable screen, and it works perfectly - I think it just takes a second to start up, so I wasn't even seeing the little white flash since they're powered at the same time.

I think I fried the mobo - not entirely sure, but it appears to be the best explanation at the time. I know I didn't short any of the header pins, it's all in correctly, and I'm using MAYBE 4 inches of IDC cable that all works - it's got to be the mobo. I'll be buying a new one once I can save up enough money (I spent all my savings on this, xD, rather difficult to get money now that nobody needs their lawn mowed here.)

That means I get to unsolder the header... great. That'll be... fun.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Good luck with that ... soldering job.
kinda sucks. By the way. which revision was that mobo?

Edit: No smilies
Last edited by gamax92 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 pm

I understand that smilies are fun and all, but really?

Mobo was pretty old - had 2 ram chips, I don't care enough to find out exactly what rev it was.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Well then get one that is pretty new. They "Revised" the n64 for a reason. I think.

Besides it will be faster.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 pm

gamax92 wrote:Well then get one that is pretty new. They "Revised" the n64 for a reason. I think.

Besides it will be faster.
I have no idea what you mean by "faster". Generally speaking, a newer N64 revision will be more power efficient, but more susceptible to Random N64 Mobo Death Syndrome. So there's pros and cons to each.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 pm

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His mobo died. He got one of newer revision. and it was way to fast for his "cart emulator"
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:10 pm

gamax92 wrote:http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33012

His mobo died. He got one of newer revision. and it was way to fast for his "cart emulator"
:facepalm:

All revisions of the N64 run at the same "speed." The only changes Nintendo made was to make production cheaper and/or the console more power efficient. Like the last revisions of the N64. Some people say they were just thrown together with whatever leftover parts Nintendo had.

For a similar example, the new Xbox 360 revision consoles aren't faster, just cheaper to produce so M$ doesn't lose as much money.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Disabling Thread Hijacking Mode....... Done.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Okay, I was wrong. :oops:

I misread Marshall's post. There are faster revisions, but it won't matter for games as they are already optimized for playability on the system.
someone correct me if I'm wrong again
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 pm

You do relized i put a lot of work on making a gradient shaded text thing. It looks small but the code is big.

But yeah you might be right. but the n64 could be optimized for faster loading, better 3d, you see where im going.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC