My First Portable - The N65

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Snipeye
Re: My First Portable - The N65

Post by Snipeye » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Bump/Update Again:

My new mobo got here, works (almost) perfectly. I bought it defective, player 1 port is missing 2 pins. Fortunately, that's easily replaceable with parts from my old mobo. I tested my screen again - using an official power supply/RCA cable adapter for the n64, and my batteries to power the screen, I plugged it in with "Quarterback Club '99" in - just like on the CRT, a little "There are no controllers attached to the n64" screen popped up, which was good news. When I tried with "Star Wars Episode 1 Racing," however, on the CRT television a slowly fading in/out "No controllers" screen appears. On my LCD, I see a whitish, very, very faint blob scrolling down the screen, then starting at the top and scrolling down again.

Long story short: I don't think that this screen likes the n64, but it seems to like the DVD player and other things just fine. Anybody want to swap screens? I'm using the "#2" type in hailraizer's 3.5in screen guide. If your screen works on an n64, and my screen works on stuff except n64's, it should work out. Failing a swap, anybody wanna buy it?

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Sold the screen, and soldered everything on to my new mobo - it's running off batteries perfectly right now, the last thing to solder is the cart slot relocation. I'll be buying a new screen off of ebay soon, then the casework begins... I'll probably do a vacuum form case so it fits right in my hands (mine are bigger than most people's). I bought a nice joystick cap for the ps2 joystick I'm using, it's actually got rubber on top instead of textured plastic. This things really coming together - thanks for all the help, guys.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 pm

:(

I think I fried it. Again. Everything was working PERFECTLY, then I tried the cart slot relocation - when I flipped the switch, a white bar flashed across the screen, then nothing, at all. I was originally using the Lucid Method (which I will, in all probability, NEVER use again) so I desoldered EVERYTHING and resoldered using raw IDE, testing every single connection as I went. Plugged it into the TV again, flipped the switch.... white bar flash. Black everything. Sad Snipeye. Somebody test something for me - plug an n64 without a cart slot into a TV, with a jumper pak in, and turn it on. What happens? If you get the same results I'm getting, then something's wrong the relocation... again. If something else happens, my board's probably fried.

Any words of advice, perhaps troubleshooting (Something about an n64 just 'sleeping'?) in case it's not actually fried? I know the cart slot is perfect this time, because I tested literally every connection, each had less than 1/2ohm impedance. Using roughly 6-8 inches of IDE to relocate atm.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 pm

^^epic lameage.
unplug the n64 from all power and leave it overnight, double check all connections, try a different game/jumper pak, make sure everything is connected the right way and try again.
there is no definite thing the 64 does when turned on with/without this or fried/not fried on the tv screen.
shockslayers method of turning the n64 without a game in then checking the warmth of the rcp/cpu seems to work in about %60 of my fried board (if fried rcp/cpu gets hot in about 10 seconds)
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't have another jumper, but I can try a different game. All my connections are good and it's been sitting off power for over 12 hours, now, I'll give it another shot soon. How hot would the RCP (middle chip, right?) get if it was fried? Too hot to touch?

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, tried a new game cart and a confirmed-to-work power supply. It's dead, I'm almost positive. Anybody need/want parts?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 am

Just making sure - is the jumper pack in correctly? I've put mine in backwards before and went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 am

Yeah, it is. :(

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Any updates for the motherboard?

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:54 pm

I'm actually trading an old iPod touch for a cart-slot-relocated mobo, then I'll just be doing it with that one.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm still selling this if you're interested? N64p Kit ~ PSone screen connected with S-video

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 am

That certainly looks like the easy way to do it.... I've already contacted somebody who will be trading me, but I might buy that for my next portable. We'll see how things go.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Cool, if you decide you want it, let me know sooner rather than later. Because I'm starting to think that I might just build it into a portable, and be done with it