How do you guys make the N64 so small?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

coolprize
How do you guys make the N64 so small?

Post by coolprize » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 am

Iv seen a lot of portable N64s, and most of them are huge. but theres also a great amount of very nice designed small ones. like sifufs here

Im trying to think of how I can make the n64 small as possible and jam in a screen, batterys, etc all the other stuff needed in order to make it portable. but I cant think of how. How do you guys get them so small?

do you get like custom N64 motherboards that have been reduced in size? or is it possible to cut them down yourselfs somehow? now im still in the learning process so its a long way before I even start this project, I am planning things out for it though, and it would be very useful to see how you guys get them so small.

thanks for any info and feed back left 8)

EDIT: Also another question that would be useful to me, Do you HAVE to have a built in fan in order to keep the system cool? I know the N64 itself doesnt have one, but iv heard a lot of people put fans inside there n64 portables. and if you dont need to put a fan in, than how do you keep it cool? just have a lot of openings in the system to keep it cool? when I build this id really like not to have a fan inside.

Bino Gas
Portablizer

Re: How do you guys make the N64 so small?

Post by Bino Gas » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 pm

There is a lot of grounding surrounding the N64 board. You can cut that off with minimal rewiring. The board can be made even smaller by cutting off the traces connecting to the cart slot and wiring the cart slot directly to the RCP. That's what Sifuf did.

And I'd highly recommend putting a fan in your portable, but sometimes it isn't necessary if you have decent heatsinks and good airflow.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:02 pm

When you open the N64 case you will find that the motherboard is actually quite a lot smaller than the N64 case. You can also trim down the N64 motherboard to make it smaller. Finally good case design and use of space means portables have become smaller and smaller.

As for the fan, it used to be accepted that a fan was required (for some reason). Now several portables have been made where the heatsinks were replaced with copper finned heatsinks that radiate heat better and they still work without a fan. See Hailrazer's Darth64.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Using a sheet of copper sheet as a heatsink and some well placed vents will be sufficient.

The copper sheet can have holes drilled in it so it can go over the capacitors and not add any height to the board.

coolprize

Post by coolprize » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 pm

thanks for all the info guys, this is really helpful for me. Im gonna take apart my N64 soon just to look at the motherboard. (iv seen a ton of images of it on google and this site, but I think ill get a even better idea by seeing it in person) and maybe you guys can show the spots I could take out or not needed? haha. I know I wont need a few things like that extra slot on the bottom of the n64.

Also about heating, Is it possible to not replace the heat sink with copper and instead leave it as is, but make the casing really really vented? I think as long as its well vented it should stay cool. still undecided on the case design, but I think having vents on the left and right sides, and the bottom, and maybe a few on the top is a good idea. looking at the original N64 casing, this is what nintendo did, there is vents everywhere on that thing. so I think its a good idea to incorporate this into a portable, who knows it might even make it looks sexay!

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:45 am

just thought I would point out that you should probably go have a read through some of the threads on the forum (especially the stickies) lot's of what your asking has already been answered, and doing a bit of your own research should lead you to the answers. Too many times new people come on the forum wanting to be spoon-fed all the details, where 5 minutes of looking will find your answers. and then after someone goes to the effort of replying they give up and move on.. So all I'm saying is read up on all this stuff and then if you still have questions, go nuts we're all happy to help. Especially if you've started your project and get stuck..that's when we'll be there for you

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:50 pm

A lot of those "small" N64 portables have no internal batteries.

Just an fyi. lol
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:19 pm

hailrazer wrote:A lot of those "small" N64 portables have no internal batteries.

Just an fyi. lol
Like SiFuF's there, that has no batteries.

If you are not extremely experienced in soldering, DO NOT TRY RCP WIRING. You will go through board after board with bridged and lifted pins. I know "start large" doesn't sound very good, but as you progress and gain skills and proficiency, you'll be able to more easily tackle harder projects. Take it slow to start.

coolprize

Post by coolprize » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:11 pm

hmm didnt know that about sifufs, then where are his batterys located?

Also I dont plan on starting a small unit anyway. I wont do any modifications to the first motherboard, probably not even relocate the cart slot. I was just interested on how to make it smaller for future preferences.

What do you guys recommend for powering the system (for beginners) ? I might not use a dvd player battery. whats something good for someone on a low budget is what I mean. but can still power the system for a decent amount of time?

Hrduncan
Portablizer

Post by Hrduncan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 pm

look through the n64 stickies and all will be answered.
check out my blog!

http://hrduncan.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 am

All you really need to do is trace the pins, for example most of the pins that connect to the cart slot trace down to the central chip called the RCP, if you can solder straight to the chip then you can cut off the top bit of the board.

As far as fans go, the only reason the n64 didn't have a fan is because it had so much ventilation. If your building a cheap portable I say use the original heat sinks and put in a fan but if your really ditermined to not have a fan, I recommend using copper heat sinks over the original heat sinks and cut ventilation where ever you can on the case (remember heat rises so vetilation on the top would be ideal).

Hope this helps and good luck

MarioOwnsAll

coolprize

Post by coolprize » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm

thanks a lot for all the replys guys. I have actually been doing a lot of research on this so far, and I am learning a lot. I actually just found Bacterias site and I am amazed by it. It has so much info on it and guides, Im gonna join the forums to get even more help. I noticed a few of you guys on there to haha. I even watched almost all the vids bacteria has put up.
so yeah really good stuff going on there.

but there is something iv been trying to find/figure out and there isnt a lot of info on it anywhere.
maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me. So I was watching one of bacterias first vids, where he talks about the materials needed. I also saw this in someone elses N64p video.

What it is was, this tiny chip thing from TI (texas instruments) and all I could understand from it was its something for the power, but other than that I am completely lost right there. Im not to sure what its for or does, and is this chip thing needed in order to get a working N64p? Also how do I obtain one if it is needed?

On a side note of where im going with my future project, Im still learning and all and dont even have all the materials needed in order to build a n64p yet, I have finally come up with a really good design for it, I sketched it out I think it looks nice. (well on paper, will have to see haha) Might upload it later, but its nothing to get excited about.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 pm

The N64 needs 2 different voltages to run. 3.3v is one of those needed and it needs to be fairly precise. That's where the Ti Regulator comes in. It is the most efficient and beat device to accomplish 3.3v
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I also sell the parts for the regulators (resistor, capacitor) for a few cents more than what the shipping is.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

coolprize

Post by coolprize » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 pm

hailrazer wrote:The N64 needs 2 different voltages to run. 3.3v is one of those needed and it needs to be fairly precise. That's where the Ti Regulator comes in. It is the most efficient and beat device to accomplish 3.3v
Thanks, I registered on TI, I heard you can get it as a free sample from them, but im having a hard time finding it, What is the exact name of this regulator?

Im gettting all kinds of stuff from the searches and not sure which one it is.