dreamcast gd-rom revisions/ compatibilities?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterful
dreamcast gd-rom revisions/ compatibilities?

Post by gamemasterful » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 am

I'm trying to figure out the differences between all of the compatibilities (hardware and software) of the different dreamcast system revisions. But I cannot for the life of me find any one concentrated source of data, or data with a reliable source.

I know revisions 0 and 1 have a separate GD-Rom controller board whereas 2 has it integrated with the main motherboard. But after november/december of 2000, Sega removed the mil-cd compatibility, making burned CD-R copies of games unplayable (unless burned in data/data format and within a certain area of minutes).

My real question I'm getting at is I suppose, is was there revision 2 consoles made before Sega took out CD-R burned game support? Or perhaps a possible inconsistency with the immense amount of googling that I've already done, are there previous revisions that have an integrated GD-Rom board and also support CD-R copies?

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: dreamcast gd-rom revisions/ compatibilities?

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:14 am

Not currently my area of knowledge, but I am sure there is a Swap Disc available.

gamemasterful

Re: dreamcast gd-rom revisions/ compatibilities?

Post by gamemasterful » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:11 pm

I was trying to avoid the swap trick. :3 Just not portable friendly having to carry around a separate disk!

But I think I found that revision 2 made before october 2000 is what I'm looking for. I was just looking for a second confirmation.