Another N64p!!!!!!!!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Gamelver
Another N64p!!!!!!!!

Post by Gamelver » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:45 pm

Yes, I've built another one and this one in only three days!!! It has a relocated cartridge slot so I can put games in through the top. It also is built into a smaller case, 7x5x3 instead of the usual 8x6x3. Because I built it into a smaller case I had to basically cram everything in there, so there wasn't any room for the controller ports or even for batteries. So I decided to just have the battery external. Speaking of batteries, the one I'm using is a 7.2 3000 maph RC car battery. Since the N64's 12 volt input goes to a 7805, it only really needs 7.2 (or more, up to 24 volts I think). Same thing for the DC-DC converter for the 3 volt input and the DC-DC converter for the 6 volt input (for the 3 inch pocket tv). Therefore I only need to use 7.2 volts. The N64p3 uses about 1.2 amps, btw. I'm away visiting with a friend and I don't have a digital camera or a scanner to take pictures so I won't have pics up for about a week. Also, his computer is extremely slow so I won't be posting much while I'm here. Anyways, just thought I post up my newer, smaller, and better N64p. I hope to get pics up as soon as possible.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:53 pm

hmm... is the dc-dc converter you have good for games like dk that draw higher amps?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:40 pm

Yeah Donkey Kong 64 plays great on it. The DC-DC converters I'm using are actually car adapters, but they work just fine.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:24 am

sounds nice, id love to see pics :) I figured out the exact same battery method for my N64 and it's also what I'm going to use (and it gets over 2 hours which I'm fine with). I have no means to make a nice case for my N64p though, so I think I'm going to use the original one and use the extra room for the battery and build on a folding screen :)

-Segasonicfan

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Well, I'm back, but I come bearing bad news. My 3rd N64p has broken :cry: . I don't know how but it did. The screen AND the N64 is broken so I don't think I can fix it. I may make a new one that has a 7X5 case but for now I'm working on one that uses a PS1 screen and has a relocated cartridge slot. Also, I'm finally resuming work on the GCp. I'll finish the electronics hopefully by the end of the week at the most. Then I can build the case.

If I find time I may rebuild the N64p and take pics of it to show what it looked like........before it broke and I had to take it apart.........

MM007

Post by MM007 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:47 am

Gamelver wrote:Yeah Donkey Kong 64 plays great on it. The DC-DC converters I'm using are actually car adapters, but they work just fine.
Car adapters are actually DC-DC converters? You mean like cigarette plugs? I thoguht they were just resistors and stuff to burn off excess voltage, not convert that voltage to current...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:33 am

The dc-dc conveter acts as a step down in voltage. Its a better way of converting the voltage down then the power regulators (7808 and 7805) that just use heat to burn off the extra voltage.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:21 pm

I was fooling around with my N64p3 today and I found out what was wrong with my N64p3. Well, at least the screen. I took apart the LCD and found out that the cathode tube had broken!!!!!! So I decided that I shall perform a backlighting modification on my RCA 3 inch pocket television using T1 LEDs from Digikey!!!!!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :twisted:

Anyways, I have decided to try to breathe new life into my broken ( :cry: ) N64p3. The controller is still good so if I can fix my N64 and LCD and reuse the project box then I can renew my N64p3!!! :D

So, hopefully I can fix it and post up some pics of it when I'm done.

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:01 pm

man you need a web site, i wold like to see indepth pics of every thing