N64p problems

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Professor
N64p problems

Post by Professor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:24 pm

I've been working on an N64p, my first portable. I noticed a problem the other day after what at first seemed to be a successful test. When running it off the battery, the screen (Verge screen, basically the same as a PSOne screen) worked at first, but then lines gradually started to appear, the image became blurry and shook, and after about 30 seconds, the screen shut off, backlight and all.

When I ran it off the wall adapter, the image seemed fine (no lines or anything like that), then suddenly after about 30 seconds, the picture became extremely blurry, and about three seconds later the screen shut off again.

If I shut everything off before the screen completely shuts down, then test it all again without waiting for long, then it takes less time for the screen to shut off. This makes me think that something is overheating. I touched the PTH08000 to move it somewhere else after shutting everything down, and found that it was very hot. I'm not sure if it could be this that's causing the problem. Any ideas?
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

Falco

Re: N64p problems

Post by Falco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Have you tried running the screen with an alternative AV source, like using one of the built in AV jacks? That's how I test my screens before I do anything to them. Those screens don't usually overheat, since there's no processor on the board, and the voltage regulator shouldn't be causing any problem with the screen, since they shouldn't be hooked together.

Besides that, just triple check all your wiring.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm

you need a resistor and a capaciter on the composite video wire from the N64 to the screen on PAL N64's

Professor

Post by Professor » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Tomorrow, I'll try undoing all the wiring that isn't absolutely necessary, just to eliminate the possibility of any shorts there.
lucidPerspective wrote:you need a resistor and a capaciter on the composite video wire from the N64 to the screen on PAL N64's
I wish that were the case, but this is an NTSC N64. Could a capacitor and/or a resistor solve this problem anyway?
Falco wrote:Have you tried running the screen with an alternative AV source, like using one of the built in AV jacks?
Before starting this portable, I actually used the screen for several weeks in the intended way, and it worked perfectly fine. I was actually reluctant to start this project because I liked the screen the way it was. But then I truly realized how awesome a portable N64 would be, and, well, here I am.
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
-Master Yoda

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm

If your pth08000 is getting hot, that is a problem. that is a big problem. They Do Not Get Hot.

Maybe your 3.3v line is shorted out?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:18 pm

bump
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Hrduncan
Portablizer

Post by Hrduncan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm

the pth chips dont get hot so how much voltage are running into them and secondly it might be possible that the screen either needs more amperage or the batteries are dying
check out my blog!

http://hrduncan.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;