Need help with LED mod

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

FLAPJACKDAN
Need help with LED mod

Post by FLAPJACKDAN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:34 am

I have searched for tutorials and have a little feel for it but I would like it if someone could create/show a diagram for me.

ishowernaked

Re: Need help with LED mod

Post by ishowernaked » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 353,00.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen: here u go, a tutorial. :mrgreen:

FLAPJACKDAN

Post by FLAPJACKDAN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 pm

I have looked at that but the text doesn't do any justice. Like I don't know what to connect to what.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm

the jist of it is this:

you shove three leds into the diffuser box connected to a power source on the board. i'll give you more info when i do it myself.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm

I would use 4 leds so you have one to each corner and more even lighting. I assume you know how to take apart the psone screen and get inside the light box. All you need to do is remove all the components of the light box, drill a small hole in each corner for the leads of the leds go go through, put the glossy paper back in the bottom and make small holes in the corners of the glossy paper for the leads of the leds to travel though (if necassary). Make sure your leds are 3mm leds, anything bigger and the light box won't fit back together, use a tiny dab of hot glue to hold the leds in place. Now put the light box back together and your done. Now just use a dremel to cut off the top of the board and your set.

EDIT: almost forgot you will need 4 33 ohm resistors (one for each led) and then wire it up to the 5v box on the back of the board (there should probubly be a picture in the tutorial).

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 pm

MarioOwnsAll wrote:
EDIT: almost forgot you will need 4 33 ohm resistors (one for each led) and then wire it up to the 5v box on the back of the board (there should probubly be a picture in the tutorial).
The resistors you need all depend on the values of your LED. Use this handy LED calculator to easily figure out what value resistors you need.