Is it legal to sell

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

AustinQPT
Is it legal to sell

Post by AustinQPT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Is it legal to create a website selling portable n64 systems? I would love to make this a summer job but need clarification on this. Also where would I go to buy lcd screens? Thanks!

-Austin

kinjjibo
Steam ID:kinjjib0

Re: Is it legal to sell

Post by kinjjibo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Of course it's legal. If it wasn't, eBay wouldn't be legal than.
Currently owned: (In response to WeaponEpsilon)

22 platforms; 29 individual systems; 346 games (4 duplicates)

AustinQPT

Post by AustinQPT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:27 pm

kinjjibo wrote:Of course it's legal. If it wasn't, eBay wouldn't be legal than.
Ok, because I never saw them being sold on ebay and I know for a fact that newer modified systems cannot be sold on ebay should your modification have compromised the warranty.

Again I am not sure about the specifics but I really would like to avoid a lawsuit.

kinjjibo

Post by kinjjibo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Many people sell them in eBay that didn't do it for a commission or advertise it on here or Modretro, etc for sale.

AustinQPT

Post by AustinQPT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm

So you are saying it is legal so long as it is nonprofit?

limpport

Post by limpport » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 pm

No, it is legal no matter what. What kinjjibo is saying is some modders get paid ahead of time to make a portable for someone. The ones that are sold on eBay were not paid for ahead of time, and the money to make it came from the makers own pocket.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 pm

The modded consoles ebay doesn't like are the ones that have been modded to play pirated games.
In the simplest of terms, portables are just systems and screens that have been taken apart and put in the same case. If that is illegal, you should probably find another place to live. :lol:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 am

Slightly related: It is technically illegal to sell a portable gaming system that runs off of internal memory (hard drive, rom cartridge, etc). For example, Knight Raizers portable would technically be illegal to sell since it runs off of a hard drive to play PS2 games. Is this correct?

Also, this could be problematic for WiiP intended to be sold.
Image Image

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:30 am

Tchay wrote:Slightly related: It is technically illegal to sell a portable gaming system that runs off of internal memory (hard drive, rom cartridge, etc). For example, Knight Raizers portable would technically be illegal to sell since it runs off of a hard drive to play PS2 games. Is this correct?

Think of it this way: Emulators are not illegal, but ROMS (usually) are.
So no, I don't think it's illegal, unless he broke some agreement/contract/terms on the software that says he must use it a certain way.
The hardware is yours, but usually the software is not.

Edit: I feel like this doesn't really make sense. Do you think it does?
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:34 am

bassmasta wrote:
Tchay wrote:Slightly related: It is technically illegal to sell a portable gaming system that runs off of internal memory (hard drive, rom cartridge, etc). For example, Knight Raizers portable would technically be illegal to sell since it runs off of a hard drive to play PS2 games. Is this correct?

Think of it this way: Emulators are not illegal, but ROMS (usually) are.
So no, I don't think it's illegal, unless he broke some agreement/contract/terms on the software that says he must use it a certain way.
The hardware is yours, but usually the software is not.

Edit: I feel like this doesn't really make sense. Do you think it does?
According to Nintendo, any emulation of older consoles is illegal as they still have copyright over all of their games (for like 20 more years I believe). And the portables Im talking about cannot play games without roms or backups being downloaded to the memory. But Im still not totally sure about the legality....
Image Image

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 am

Tchay wrote:According to Nintendo, any emulation of older consoles is illegal as they still have copyright over all of their games (for like 20 more years I believe). And the portables Im talking about cannot play games without roms or backups being downloaded to the memory. But Im still not totally sure about the legality....
Like I said; "Emulators are not illegal, but ROMS (usually) are."
The software used to emulate a system, like VirtualBoy, etc. are legal.
The ROMS are illegal, although I'm not sure if that argument retains if you backup your own ROMs. BUT you cannot break copyright protection to back up your games.
However, the Knight Raizer is (probably) legal, because it has a legal use: Homebrew.
The only reason it wouldn't be is because he broke something in the license agreement. Software is licensed to you; its not yours to freely modify.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:22 pm

let me reiterate, knight raizers ps2 has no disc drive. therefore the only way to play games is via backups. whether sony is cool with backups i dont kno.

now, nintendo on the other hand, is not cool with backups even if u own a copy of the game. i read that right off of their website.

ill just look this up on sonys site myself to see if they have the same policy
Image Image

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Sony and nintendo don't make the laws.

His ps2p would only be illegal to sell if it was loaded with games.

If you think it's illegal to sell it if it works off internal memory at all, then every modern gaming console is illegal.

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:38 pm

@Tchay
bassmasta wrote:However, the Knight Raizer is (probably) legal, because it has a legal use: Homebrew.
@snowpenguin
It can be illegal if it breaks any EULA's etc.

kinjjibo

Post by kinjjibo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm

What everyone is saying is, yes, you can sell n64 portables.