n64 questions and worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bentendo64
Re: n64 questions and worklog

Post by bentendo64 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:10 am

Nice case so far.
for seperating pcb's iI just used a paper towel, it was i a bit thicker than regular paper towels, since then, nothing has shorted out (the pcb's are touching, or I wouldn't have put anything there).
http://bentendo64.co.cc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mmm, extra performance for free. The essence of overclocking."

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:LOL I didn't plan crap on the QUAD64. I just cut and bondo'd. It turned out fine, though. :P
HA well I didn't plan anything on my n64 portable either, but the case i used was so freakin big that I didn't need to plan... I had a giant battery, an unmodded psone screen, an untrimmed n64, and still plenty of room to fit an entire superpad plus, including its giant joystick.
But I think it's safe to say that the more you plan, the better it will turn out, especially if it's in a smaller case (smaller than the case I used, or the actual n64 case) and you're really have to cram parts.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:05 am

bentendo64 wrote:Nice case so far.
for seperating pcb's iI just used a paper towel, it was i a bit thicker than regular paper towels, since then, nothing has shorted out (the pcb's are touching, or I wouldn't have put anything there).
Just do what I am going to do with my Pn64. Cut plastic sheets from an A4 folder. Better than having porus paper that is flammable inside :D

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 am

it's better as long as you keep the insides cool enough so the plastic doesn't melt over everything :D ..but I guess if it's that hot in there, paper towel would definitely catch on fire :shock:

Thanks for that plastic Idea, I've been thinking about ways to keep my PCB's seperate :mrgreen:

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:13 pm

thaks for all the replies. project halted until i get the supplies i need. (two or three weeks). i need an n64 and screen. and my case is actually huge. it's thicker than a pizza box. and pretty huge.
luke_hankins wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:LOL I didn't plan crap on the QUAD64. I just cut and bondo'd. It turned out fine, though. :P
HA well I didn't plan anything on my n64 portable either, but the case i used was so freakin big that I didn't need to plan... I had a giant battery, an unmodded psone screen, an untrimmed n64, and still plenty of room to fit an entire superpad plus, including its giant joystick.
But I think it's safe to say that the more you plan, the better it will turn out, especially if it's in a smaller case (smaller than the case I used, or the actual n64 case) and you're really have to cram parts.
my case is about the same size as yours, just using lanscape orientation.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:01 am

ishowernaked wrote:thaks for all the replies. project halted until i get the supplies i need. (two or three weeks). i need an n64 and screen. and my case is actually huge. it's thicker than a pizza box. and pretty huge.
luke_hankins wrote:
my case is about the same size as yours, just using lanscape orientation.
that's good. it's nice to have a decent sized case for your first portable, and it's okay, because no one is expecting you to do anything crazy awesome. that's why i started with a monster of a case for my portable, and now that i know what i'm doing, i'm working on a much smaller one.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 pm

lucidPerspective wrote: ..but I guess if it's that hot in there, paper towel would definitely catch on fire :shock:
Any sort of paper will self-ignite at 451 degrees F (233C). So unless there is open flame/spark, or you have a built in George Foreman grill, you should be fine.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Man.. why does everyone take things out of context on this forum :roll: ..I said that the paper would catch on fire IF it was hot enough in there to get plastic melting.. which it shouldn't ever be

edit: does paper really only spontaneously self-combust at 233C :shock: that's quite hot lol

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:38 am

Somebody knows their ray bradbury.
limpport wrote:
lucidPerspective wrote: ..but I guess if it's that hot in there, paper towel would definitely catch on fire :shock:
Any sort of paper will self-ignite at 451 degrees F (233C). So unless there is open flame/spark, or you have a built in George Foreman grill, you should be fine.

limpport

Post by limpport » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:39 pm

ishowernaked wrote:Somebody knows their ray bradbury.
limpport wrote:
You bet. The Canadian version "Celsius 233" wasn't very successful however :wink:

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 pm

got shoulder buttons in today. used third party ps2 controller square and circle buttons. i had to salvage the little push buttons in the controller because i don't have any tact switches. it was a long two hours and my hand got burnt so no pics right now. i need a sandwich. :shock: that's my I'm hungry and i haven't slept in days face.

just edited because i don't like to double post too much.

got the front half of my case done today. yes!!!! still need to work on the back and sides. right now it looks like an awesome box with screen holes and buttons mounted inside of it.

started rewiring my controller but i need some tact swithces. :cry:

i'm using a third party ps2 analog stick even though i love the original n64 analog stick. (it's a little bit gigantic) i am currently ordering the rest of my stuff. ie n64, screen, batteries.

pictures..... maybe later. just take my word for it.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:57 pm

ok. small update. almost done with case then i can start the fun stuff. i am trying to get a job, so until then.....