n64 portable question topic

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

tsukasa
Re: n64 portable question topic

Post by tsukasa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:45 am

Basement_Modder wrote:
tsukasa wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:copulate the fuses. The 3.3v in your portable is stable enough to make them useless. Plus, the fuses are rated to take way more of a beating than one controller provides. Hell, they could probably handle the draw of 5 controllers without blowing.
I was looking at it more from a 'protect the 3.3V rail from shorts' perspective, since a short would fry your rcp and cpu.

I must not understand how fuses work then, I apologize.
No need. Fuses are like a backup plan. If voltage spikes to a point where it can fry the fused component, the fuse "blows," protecting the component. (at this point, you would need to replace the said fuse.

Static can also kill fuses, which is why you always flip the power switch on consoles and computers to "discharge" all the caps before opening it and causing potential shorts/ static buildup.
That sounds more like a surge protector than a fuse. A fuse blows when the current draw through it is greater than the fuse is rated for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_%28electrical%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 am

I was just trying to put it into laymens terms. Fuses are like mini surge-protectors. They are rated usually a few microvolts above the fused components median power draw.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 am

Basement_Modder wrote:I was just trying to put it into laymens terms. Fuses are like mini surge-protectors. They are rated usually a few microvolts above the fused components median power draw.
Correction, rated a few milliamps above the maximum CURRENT draw. If it were median, then when the device was working harder than normal, yet not hard enough to damage itself, the fuses would blow.

Furthermore, current does not surge at all. Current is simply the amount of electricity available, whereas voltage is akin to electrical pressure. Fuses have nothing to do with voltage. Please, do some research before pretending you know something.

No need to try and 'water it down' for me, I'm an engineer.

In the interest of civility, I'm not going to continue this argument.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:45 pm

I was always under the impression that fuses could also blow if voltage spikes. Other components certainly do. Thanks for the information, I shall add it to my head.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Will someone confirm that this will work:
The plan is to have just one external controller port. When it is switched one way, the internal controller is deactivated and the port becomes the 1st player. When it is switched the other way, the internal controller works, and the port becomes 2nd player. Will someone please check my diagram and make sure that it works?
Thanks
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am

I can't see your white wires against the white background. >.<
To switch between the internal and external controller, just put a spdt switch to choose which controller gets power.

EDIT:
Highlighted the pic (D'oh).
Yeah, that should work.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am

I know how to switch between an internal and an external controller, but i'm wanting to do something a little bit more complicated than that. I want to be able to switch between internal player 1 and external player 1, but when I'm switched to internal player 1, I want the external port to become player 2.
(the switch is a dpdt switch viewed from the bottom. when it's switched "up", I want the internal controller to be deactivated and the external port to be player1. when it's switched "down", I want the internal controller to work and the external port to become player2.

I know how to switch between an internal and an external controller, but i'm wanting to do something a little bit more complicated than that. I want to be able to switch between internal player 1 and external player 1, but when I'm switched to internal player 1, I want the external port to become player 2.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:57 am

tsukasa wrote:I can't see your white wires against the white background. >.<
To switch between the internal and external controller, just put a spdt switch to choose which controller gets power.

EDIT:
Yeah, that should work.
Okay. My only concern was that when I was switched to external player 1, my internal contoller might still be wasting power?
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:18 pm

luke_hankins wrote:
tsukasa wrote:I can't see your white wires against the white background. >.<

EDIT:
Yeah, that should work.
Okay. My only concern was that when I was switched to external player 1, my internal contoller might still be wasting power?
Yeah, it will be, but likely not very much.
I'd have to think about it some more, but I don't think you can turn off your internal controller without either another pole on your switch, or a multiple pole relay (or getting into some more complicated circuitry).

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:15 pm

well, the main reason i need a 1player port is to be able to use the memory card for games that require it (which will be hardly ever). I will be using the internal 1st player and the port as a 2nd player 99% of the time. Also, people say to always put the switch on the 3.3v line to prevent shorts, but I don't see how to do that with what i'm trying to do, also this shouldn't be a problem as long as i make sure the controller never touches any other metal, correct?
thanks
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 am

I could use just a little more feedback on this. Is it a good idea? or should I add another switch just to be safe?
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Falco

Post by Falco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 pm

I was planning on doing this same thing on my portable, since I'll want 2 player ability plus if I want to use the game as a home system I can hook up a controller.

Your diagram helps me out, since I hadn't though through how to do it yet, and I think it's a good idea. In my mind, it should theoretically work fine. I personally wouldn't worry about power consumption on something so small.

I was also toying with the idea of a second controller port in case I want to have 2 controller players while hooked up to a TV, but that would need another pole.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:48 am

QUESTION:
I need to cut off the top of my psone, but don't want to do the led mod. can i cut it, and then power the back light with something else?
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 am

luke_hankins wrote:QUESTION:
I need to cut off the top of my psone, but don't want to do the led mod. can i cut it, and then power the back light with something else?
You can just re-locate it. I think it's about a dozen wires.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 pm

nevermind
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image