n64 portable question topic

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Cojiro
n64 portable question topic

Post by Cojiro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 am

Hey guys I needed to get a topic where I could ask questions about building a portable N64, so I don't have to start a new topic every time I ask a question. If anyone else has a random question about their project, then you are more than welcome to use this topic to ask the question.

My first question is, can you disconnect the LED on the n64, or does it need to be connected to run? (I'm afraid to test this, because with my luck the thing would fry)
thanks
Last edited by Cojiro on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Re: n64 portable question topic

Post by evilteddy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 am

From memory the LED is parrallel to the 3.3V line and can be removed. Think of it logically, if all it took to destory an n64 was a blown LED then that wouldn't be very good design.

spdreader

Post by spdreader » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Good luck on it, I'm planning on starting one soon also.
When I do build one, I'm wondering if there is any reason not to add controller ports for multiplayer via RJ-45(ethernet cable and connectors) based dongles. Just putting 2 controller plugins each on 2 ethernet cables (since each cable has 6 wires, and the controllers have 3). it would use minimal space, and still allow multipayer. (If this is unclear, I can put up a pic later).

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:05 pm

spdreader wrote:Good luck on it, I'm planning on starting one soon also.
When I do build one, I'm wondering if there is any reason not to add controller ports for multiplayer via RJ-45(ethernet cable and connectors) based dongles. Just putting 2 controller plugins each on 2 ethernet cables (since each cable has 6 wires, and the controllers have 3). it would use minimal space, and still allow multipayer. (If this is unclear, I can put up a pic later).
Actually, there are 8 wires per cable in an ethernet cable. You need 9 wires for a breakout box: 4 power lines, 4 data lines, and one common ground (all the grounds wired together). Serial ports work great for this. Then you can use a 3 pin 3.5mm headphone jack for audio/video out.
For portable to portable multiplayer, there is LOB64, which uses ethernet jacks and there should be some good diagrams of. However, LOB64 doesn't provide controller power.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

limpport

Post by limpport » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm

bassmasta wrote:
spdreader wrote:Good luck on it, I'm planning on starting one soon also.
Actually, there are 8 wires per cable in an ethernet cable. You need 9 wires for a breakout box: 4 power lines, 4 data lines, and one common ground (all the grounds wired together). Serial ports work great for this. Then you can use a 3 pin 3.5mm headphone jack for audio/video out.
For portable to portable multiplayer, there is LOB64, which uses ethernet jacks and there should be some good diagrams of. However, LOB64 doesn't provide controller power.
Are you sure you need 4 power lines? I was thinking of it this way:

1 power line
1 ground line
3 data lines (player 1 would just use the portables controls)
1 video line
2 audio lines (L and R)

I don't know how much wire the video line would be able to go through and still display clearly.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 pm

limpport wrote:Are you sure you need 4 power lines?
You know, I don't know. Has anyone tested running 3 controllers off of the player 2 line?
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

spdreader

Post by spdreader » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was actually going to use 2 lines, one for players 1 and 2, and the other for 3 and 4. As for the the 6-wire ethernet cable, I guess I had a brain fart. When my parts come, I'll start a WIP thread, but until then, I don't want to clog this one up too much.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

bassmasta wrote:
You know, I don't know. Has anyone tested running 3 controllers off of the player 2 line?
They're all connected anyway.

3.3v from regulator=3.3v for RCP=3.3v for CPU=3.3v for player 1=3.3v for player 2, etc.

It's fine. An N64 controller draws ≤550mA when pressing buttons, and ≤100mA when idle.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am

okay new question: i just did the psone screen mod and the only problem is.... this. sorry about the picture being really dark, but at the left side of the screen, there are 4 columns of pixels that are completely white. does anybody know what could be causing this?
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am

Check your ribbon cable is seated correctly, check the board over for smaller solder flakes

It looks like you may have ripped the flex cable from the edge of the LCD glass when you had it out.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 am

if that is the case, is there any chance of me repairing it? and if not, would it hurt the screen to leave it like it is? (it wouldn't kill me to turn a 5" screen into a 4.75" screen)
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:
bassmasta wrote:
They're all connected anyway.

3.3v from regulator=3.3v for RCP=3.3v for CPU=3.3v for player 1=3.3v for player 2, etc.

It's fine. An N64 controller draws ≤550mA when pressing buttons, and ≤100mA when idle.
The controller ports are fused at the connectors, correct? I haven't looked into the fuse ratings, but if you were run multiple controllers off a single port, I'm betting you'd blow the fuse. Better bet would be to power your dongle off the 3.3V rail, and then put the controller fuses inside your dongle box. If you put just one massive fuse between your dongle and the 3.3V rail, you'd be at risk when you're not using all 4 controllers.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm

copulate the fuses. The 3.3v in your portable is stable enough to make them useless. Plus, the fuses are rated to take way more of a beating than one controller provides. Hell, they could probably handle the draw of 5 controllers without blowing.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:copulate the fuses. The 3.3v in your portable is stable enough to make them useless. Plus, the fuses are rated to take way more of a beating than one controller provides. Hell, they could probably handle the draw of 5 controllers without blowing.
I was looking at it more from a 'protect the 3.3V rail from shorts' perspective, since a short would fry your rcp and cpu.

I must not understand how fuses work then, I apologize.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm

tsukasa wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:copulate the fuses. The 3.3v in your portable is stable enough to make them useless. Plus, the fuses are rated to take way more of a beating than one controller provides. Hell, they could probably handle the draw of 5 controllers without blowing.
I was looking at it more from a 'protect the 3.3V rail from shorts' perspective, since a short would fry your rcp and cpu.

I must not understand how fuses work then, I apologize.
No need. Fuses are like a backup plan. If voltage spikes to a point where it can fry the fused component, the fuse "blows," protecting the component. (at this point, you would need to replace the said fuse.

Static can also kill fuses, which is why you always flip the power switch on consoles and computers to "discharge" all the caps before opening it and causing potential shorts/ static buildup.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder