7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 am

Hey guys, I found what looks to be an awesome battery deal, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this brand before?

Heres the link: 7.4v 10000mAh 12C LiPo Battery

7.4v - perfect for N64 portables
10,000mAh - Should get plenty of play time per charge
12C is more than enough - This means the max you can draw from this battery at once is 120A. But you're likely to be pulling less than 3A :mrgreen:

And the best part, it's only...

...$56.17 AUssie Dollars including worldwide postage (about $48 US Dollars) - SUPER cheap price for the capacity!

Seems like a killer bargain, What are your guys thoughts?
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:55 am

I wouldn't quite trust any claims like that, especially when it's some guy on ebay from Hong Kong.

pm me if you want one from battery space (I can ship it to you for a reasonable price if you buy from them). I got two 4700Mah batteries for JariV for $16 each. That's about the same price, and would come from the US. Shipping to Australia and New Zealand from here is usually pretty fast, too (usually about five days).
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Do you have a link for those 4700mAh batteries, and a protection circuit for them too? that Would possibly be a good option to get from batteryspace and then go through an American person..

I did get pointed to these: 12V 3500mAh Lithium Battery Pack With Auto Charger by blaze3927 though

They're pretty cheap considering that they have a built in protection circuit and come complete with a charger. One thing I was wondering with them though, is that if I regulated them down from 12v to 7.4v and 3.3v ..Would that work out well? I'm not quite sure how it all works, but my current thinking is that a 12v 3500mAh battery will give you 12v for 3500mAh.. so if I was regulating that 12v down, would I get more time? like it would be the equivalent of having a 7.4v 4500mAh battery?

Those batteries would also be cool, because I was thinking I could have a couple of them in there, and make a couple of PCB's with the 7.4v regulator and a docking jack, so I could just slide that whole battery unit in there onto the docking jack :mrgreen:

what do you think?
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 pm

With those batteries, you could get another TI regulator that will allow 7.4V, then get the higher MAh rating. Let me know if you want to do that, and I'll find the correct regulator for you.

Here's a copy of the order:

Image

Just search for the part numbers on batteryspace. Send me a pm if you want to buy anything.


Never mind; here's the links to the things listed above:

http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli ... ocket.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.batteryspace.com/fuelgaugefo ... ypack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.batteryspace.com/highpowerpo ... arate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks for looking into that for me, but that'll cost $100NZD plus whatever it'd cost for you to send them to NZ. Which is twice as much as those 'all-in-one' battery and chargers from ebay Australia. and it's less mAh as well.. I think I'll heed your advice on avoiding those cheap 10,000mAh batteries, but I'll go with the 12v ones from Aussie.

What did you mean by this? I didn't quite understand what you were saying :shock:
nevermind1534 wrote:With those batteries, you could get another TI regulator that will allow 7.4V, then get the higher MAh rating.
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:19 pm

lucidPerspective wrote:Thanks for looking into that for me, but that'll cost $100NZD plus whatever it'd cost for you to send them to NZ. Which is twice as much as those 'all-in-one' battery and chargers from ebay Australia. and it's less mAh as well.. I think I'll heed your advice on avoiding those cheap 10,000mAh batteries, but I'll go with the 12v ones from Aussie.

What did you mean by this? I didn't quite understand what you were saying :shock:
nevermind1534 wrote:With those batteries, you could get another TI regulator that will allow 7.4V, then get the higher MAh rating.
The internet tells me about $85 NZD if you don't want the battery gauge. Shipping to you would be around $7-$10 USD. It is a bit to spend at once, but you'd have it sooner and those batteries are a known quantity.

What I was referencing was the $36 AUD 12V batteries from Hong Kong. You could get a TI regulator to step down the voltage to 7.4V. TI has a ton of different stepdown regulators with charts that say which resistor you want to use to get your desired voltage.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Hmm.. you have a point, everyone is using those batteryspace LiPo's these days. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go that route.

The thing I'm still not sure on is if I do go with the 12v Chinese battery, and regulate it down to 7.4v, will I get a boost in theoretical mAh?
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:40 pm

lucidPerspective wrote:The thing I'm still not sure on is if I do go with the 12v Chinese battery, and regulate it down to 7.4v, will I get a boost in theoretical mAh?
If their rating is accurate and you use the correct regulator (don't use a cheap one), you will get a nice mAh boost.

Edit: I did some searching on TI's website, and if you want to use the 12V batteries, you should get either the PTN78020W (6A max) or the PTN78060W (3A max)

To get 7.4V with the PTN78020W, you would use a 7.52k ohm resistor (you could round to a common value for a slightly different voltage)
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for that! I was looking in the completely wrong place I think lol :mrgreen: ..I think I'll go with those 12v batts this time and see how they work out, if they're good then yay bargain, otherwise I'll go batteryspace. I do like the concept of being able to just slide the pack in to a docking port. maybe even wire it up so I have two, and can take one out while still playing and replace it with a charged one or something :D

Would it be better to regulate it all down to 7.4v, and then take that down to 3.3v or should I go for 12v to 7.4v, and 12v to 3.3v ? If you get what I mean :shock:

EDIT:

Also, was looking at the part where you can add the samples to your cart.. and it was offering these:

PTN78020WAD
PTN78020WAH
PTN78020WAS
PTN78020WAST
PTN78020WAZ
PTN78020WAZT

What do the 2 or 3 extra letters on the end mean?
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm

lucidPerspective wrote:Thanks for that! I was looking in the completely wrong place I think lol :mrgreen: ..I think I'll go with those 12v batts this time and see how they work out, if they're good then yay bargain, otherwise I'll go batteryspace. I do like the concept of being able to just slide the pack in to a docking port. maybe even wire it up so I have two, and can take one out while still playing and replace it with a charged one or something :D

Would it be better to regulate it all down to 7.4v, and then take that down to 3.3v or should I go for 12v to 7.4v, and 12v to 3.3v ? If you get what I mean :shock:
I would go for the 12v to 7.4v and 12v to 3.3v so you don't have all the extra lost amperage (you'd lose 10%-20% efficiency the other way). Let me know if you need any materials or help with wiring for the regulators.

edit: just read your post; those are for surface mount, through hole, and lead. You want the WAH.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:18 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:Let me know if you need.. ..help with wiring for the regulators.
Please? :mrgreen:

I really have no idea about how to use the regulator chips to get the voltages I want.. if I have two 12v batteries in parallel to get double the mAh, would I have my two regulator circuits (whatever they will be) in parallel with the batteries too?

EDIT:

there is this pic Skyone posted in another thread in regards to the PTH78020:
Image

What does it do? :mrgreen:
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:22 pm

lucidPerspective wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:Let me know if you need.. ..help with wiring for the regulators.
Please? :mrgreen:

I really have no idea about how to use the regulator chips to get the voltages I want.. if I have two 12v batteries in parallel to get double the mAh, would I have my two regulator circuits (whatever they will be) in parallel with the batteries too?

EDIT:

there is this pic Skyone posted in another thread in regards to the PTH78020:
Image

What does it do? :mrgreen:
Nope, you'd only need one. as long as it's able to handle all the current (which it is), it will work fine.

And that's the wiring schematic taken from TI's info PDF on the regulator. Need me to make a nice picture like bacteria did for the PTH08080 and PTH08000?

And I can sell you the resistor and capacitor(s) if you need them.

What voltage do you want? because you could run it at a little lower than 7.4V if you want.

Here's a link to TI's data sheet on the regulator: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ptn78020w.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:18 pm

I nice picture would be amazing! :D

I'm wanting to take 12v, and output 3.3v and 7.4v(about)

I know the N64 runs on 7v-12v but I wanted to go a little above minimum just to be safe? is that a good plan?

And it's probably easier for me to just grab the components locally, I have a jaycar just down the road :mrgreen:
Image

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

lucidPerspective wrote:I nice picture would be amazing! :D

I'm wanting to take 12v, and output 3.3v and 7.4v(about)

I know the N64 runs on 7v-12v but I wanted to go a little above minimum just to be safe? is that a good plan?

And it's probably easier for me to just grab the components locally, I have a jaycar just down the road :mrgreen:
You probably want to get close to the minimum voltage (but not too close) so it will be more efficient. Bacteria has a picture for wiring the PTH08080 and PTH08000 on his wordpress site

I'll see what I can do for the 78020. Tell me what voltage you want, and I'll get the correct resistor value for you to use.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
lucidPerspective
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 7.4v 10,000mAh LiPo Battery - Can anyone vouch for this?

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Just checked out that info from bacteria, can I just substitute the 78020 in? or..

The voltages i want, well I definitely need 3.3v ..but I guess if I could go lower than 7.4v on the other one it would be okay? I think I'd feel safer having it regulated to 7.4v.. ..so I'll need 3.3v and 7.4v :D
Image

Post Reply