Wiring a dual purpose RCA inputs/outputs with switch

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

XFactorNo9
Wiring a dual purpose RCA inputs/outputs with switch

Post by XFactorNo9 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:21 am

I have a simple question and probably another simple question. I've looked on this board and haven't found a similar post... here it goes.

in the picture above (that i'll admit is quite terrible) I want to have a 3 position switch. What i'm hoping to do is have RCA Jacks (vid, and L/R audio) that serve as both inputs and outputs. I want to have my N64 portable to have input/output capabilities, but without a million switches, or 2 sets of RCA ports.

In switch position 1, I want the N64 to output video to an external source, and not to the built in 7" screen. Position 2 is the 64 sending video to the integrated screen. And switch position 3 is my 7" screen accepting input from an external source. I was also wondering if position 1 could allow power to only the N64, Position 2 to both, and Position 3 to only the LCD

Now here's my questions:
1. Does such a switch exist that does what i'm asking (as opposed to having a million switches for Vid, Audio, and Power)? If so, what would it be called, and where could i find one?

2. Would this design have any video/audio interference issues?

I apologize if something similar has been asked before