Making A N64 Controller Wireless??

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

N64BitModder
Making A N64 Controller Wireless??

Post by N64BitModder » Sun May 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I am a newbie to this site and i was wondering if it is possible to make an N64 controller wireless??
I want to use RF tech. not IR tech.
I was wondering if you can take a wavebird and rewire the logic board and its connector to the N64 controller and base.
I know that the N64 uses 3 wires and GC uses 6 with one not wired up to anything.
So Is It Possible Or Would I Have To Start From Scratch? :wink:
Oh I Am Also 15 So I Do Not Have That Much Money To Spend Cause I Am Not 16 And Have No Job Yet So I Have To Go Cheap With This Project.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: Making A N64 Controller Wireless??

Post by jdmlight » Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 pm

N64BitModder wrote:I was wondering if you can take a wavebird and rewire the logic board and its connector to the N64 controller and base.
Sure, you just need some hot glue and a soldering iron. Now if you want it to work, that's a different story.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Ahhhhh. Good old sarcasm.

Long story short, many people have asked, and no one has made one yet.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun May 23, 2010 9:53 pm

You were doing SO good there until suddenly you decided to capitalize every word.

Here's one way to do it.
http://cia.vc/stats/project/navi-misc/cube64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or, you could use a set of these:

Transmitter
Reciever
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:10 pm

for the record, those rf links that jj posted wont work alone. you need a UART capable pic. (ATtiny128 works good) i actually tried this with those awhile back. then i never got around to programming it. never got anywhere. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 am

god damn, i bought two of those transmitter/recievers a while back but havent tried them yet,you sure they wont work by themselves?
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm

blaze3927 wrote:god damn, i bought two of those transmitter/recievers a while back but havent tried them yet,you sure they wont work by themselves?
yes. the need a UART to set bit rate. otherwise they dont know what to do.
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:59 pm

would this be a better option then?
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/swra039/swra039.pdf

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 pm

its still the same thing. transmitter, reciever, and a microcontroller. but that would be better, as it is a specialized micro controller, and it has the code you need available.
AfroLH wrote:

N64BitModder

Post by N64BitModder » Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 pm

I still think using the logic board inside of the controller of a wavebird and the logic board inside of the base would be still the most easiest way of converting a n64 controller to wireless.

But do you still need to program the UART in the wave bird receiver and transmitter? Or is it already pre-programed where you don't have to worry about it?

And can you just use the battery inside of the wavebird for the n64?

One thing i am still lost is where to wire the wire cause the 64 has 3 wires and the gamecube has 6 wires. :|

Does anyone have a diagram on where to wire the wires from the 64 to the logic board of a gamecube controller?

This is starting to seem like a big and time consuming job just to convert a simple wireless gamecube controller to the n64. :wink:

nachoz12341

Post by nachoz12341 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:17 pm

N64BitModder wrote:This is starting to seem like a big and time consuming job just to convert a simple wireless gamecube controller to the n64. :wink:
this is why most people dont do it

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 pm

if your confused as to why the gamecube has six wires and the n64 has three then this is definitely above your level.

N64BitModder

Post by N64BitModder » Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 am

No i am not confused about why there is 3 wires for the n64 and 6 for the gamecube, what i am confused on is where to put the extra wires for the wavebird, or can i just not wire the extra wires?

Game Cube Pinout:
Pin Color Function
1 Yellow - 5V power supply (used by rumble motor).
2 Red - DATA line: bi-directional data to/from console, pull-up to 3.43V
3 Green - Ground.
4 White - Ground (Skillz interface has pins 3+4 wired as common ground).
5 ---- Unknown: not connected by official controller, or Skillz interface.
6 Blue - 3.43V logic supply.
7 Black - Cable shielding / ground. Usually common ground with pin 3.

N64 Pinout
Pin Color Function
1 Red 3.3v
2 White Data
3 Black Ground

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Links you will find useful:

http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/wasabi/devices/cube64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/wasabi/de ... -basic.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/wasabi/de ... 4-mini.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to browse into the firmware directory and download all the files. Then You assemble them (which I can help you with if you need me to). Next, load the files onto the pic micro. Lastly, build the circuit for the version you wish to build. The basic version (the 2nd link) is easier to build. The 3rd link is a version that's a little bit smaller, but I think it requires more parts. If there's anything in the schematics you don't understand or if you don't know what something is, I'll be glad to help.

here's a thread from when I made one of these. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ignore the last two posts in my log -- I feel really stupid for posting those.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

N64BitModder

Post by N64BitModder » Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks stuntpenguin. but i find that all that too confusing. i just want to use a regular n64 controller anyway and just want to see if it is possible to make it wireless, i know they made a DOC n64 controller wireless but it was never successful cause you had to point the controller towards the infrared port and it looked quite ugly. so if they could of done it then it must be possible to convert a n64 controller into a wireless controller using RF tech. i was thinking of using the transmitter and receiver jjhammerstein left on this topic, but i do not know exactelly how to program the UART. Can any one help to describe how to program the UART?