Sega Genesis Model 1 doesn't power on

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

kinjjibo
Steam ID:kinjjib0
Sega Genesis Model 1 doesn't power on

Post by kinjjibo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:05 pm

I had an old Genesis Model 1 High Definition Graphics console that stopped working. So I ordered a lot off eBay that came with two model 2s and a model 1 original. The model 2s work but of course my composite cable snapped and the model 1 that came with it has the same problem. When I plug the adapter in to each of the model 1s, it doesn't flash the red led. I like playing on model 1s better and just want to know if the problem is solvable.
Currently owned: (In response to WeaponEpsilon)

22 platforms; 29 individual systems; 346 games (4 duplicates)

thewizdawg

Re: Sega Genesis Model 1 doesn't power on

Post by thewizdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:27 pm

The model 1 uses a different ac adapter than the model 2. Did you use the same ac adapter to test both model 1s? If so you probably have a bad ac adapter. I've ran across a few bad ac adapters. A few had leaking caps that can be replaced. Two had bad cords. Does the adapter have screws? If so take it apart and check the cap.

kinjjibo
Steam ID:kinjjib0

Post by kinjjibo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:54 pm

thewizdawg wrote:The model 1 uses a different ac adapter than the model 2. Did you use the same ac adapter to test both model 1s? If so you probably have a bad ac adapter. I've ran across a few bad ac adapters. A few had leaking caps that can be replaced. Two had bad cords. Does the adapter have screws? If so take it apart and check the cap.
I have three AC Adapters that fit. I first used the one for my NES and it didn't work. The other two are from other electronics and they didn't work. All three work on my both of my Nintendos so I don't know what the problem is. I'll try to pick up a Sega brand one and check. And Model 2 ones don't work on Model 1 ones.
Currently owned: (In response to WeaponEpsilon)

22 platforms; 29 individual systems; 346 games (4 duplicates)

impossiblescissors

Post by impossiblescissors » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:10 pm

You might also want to pop the case open and check out the 7805's with a voltmeter to make sure they're still good.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Model 1 and 2 genesis systems have a different polarity, so they are not compatible.
A regular NES power supply uses AC, so it will not work.
If you want a genesis to work with any polarity (including AC) wire in a bridge rectifier. Make sure the bridge rectifier can handle 2A.
Also make sure it doesn't output more than 12v, I've had severe sound distortion when I used a cheap power adaptor that output 16V.