Completley new, clueless but desperate-I want a portable n64

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Vincenzo
Completley new, clueless but desperate-I want a portable n64

Post by Vincenzo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Ok i'm, new, i have no idea where to start. I have a n64, i play it on the TV. But i think now i would rather go anywhere in my house in comfortable positions playing it. i seen the darth64 thing, it was nice. how big would it be if i included these:

-screen size about the size of psp-bright enough to play, adjustable unless its too difficult
-all buttons
-cartridge deck (of course)
-memory card (for games like rayman 2, a lot of my games need it)
-expansion pack for DK64 (necessary?)
-speakers with headphone port
-rechargable battery

i want it shaped something like a nds (no flipping). the screen on top, buttons and speakers below. something like this

the circle with A is the analog. i think i'll put the Z button right behind it. the dots under the start button is the speaker. the cartridge deck, should it be behind controls, the screen, or mid-way?

also a question about N64: are there any games that require the L button? because most used R and Z instead of L.

Tchay

Re: Completley new, clueless but desperate-I want a portable n64

Post by Tchay » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 am

Vincenzo wrote:Ok i'm, new, i have no idea where to start. I have a n64, i play it on the TV. But i think now i would rather go anywhere in my house in comfortable positions playing it. i seen the darth64 thing, it was nice. how big would it be if i included these:

-screen size about the size of psp-bright enough to play, adjustable unless its too difficult
-all buttons
-cartridge deck (of course)
-memory card (for games like rayman 2, a lot of my games need it)
-expansion pack for DK64 (necessary?)
-speakers with headphone port
-rechargable battery

i want it shaped something like a nds (no flipping). the screen on top, buttons and speakers below. something like this

the circle with A is the analog. i think i'll put the Z button right behind it. the dots under the start button is the speaker. the cartridge deck, should it be behind controls, the screen, or mid-way?

also a question about N64: are there any games that require the L button? because most used R and Z instead of L.
This is very doable. Not too many games require the L button, but why not just keep it?

Are you looking to build this on your own? If not, I kinda like your design and might consider building it for you after I finish my portable Gamecube. If you do decide to build it yourself, you may have to slim the motherboard a bit (which is not as hard as it sounds).

N64 portables are really easy IMO. Here is an EXCELLENT guide if you decide to do this yourself.
http://moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com/r ... /#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not you are free to PM me :wink:
Image Image

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:02 am

Tchay wrote: N64 portables are really easy IMO.
LOL, yea right.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:08 pm

hailrazer wrote:
Tchay wrote: N64 portables are really easy IMO.
LOL, yea right.
I took one apart and checked it out.

- no DD
- no inner layers
- only 2 different voltages
- smaller mobo
- less draw = smaller battery = smaller portable

I suppose I could have reworded it and said they are "easier" than other systems. The only difficulty I could think of was that they can die pretty easily.
Image Image