The Nitro 64 (geno whirl's N64 portable worklog)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

technoforlive
Re: geno whirl's first N64 portable

Post by technoforlive » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:03 pm

if you ever get stuck just look at the stickys there always good (stickys are the first topic's on all threads with a blob on it)
this one n ever fails good luck http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D :D :D :D
a hackable dj right here

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:27 pm

nachoz12341 wrote:can i make a suggestion for the batteries these are great theyre cheap and great capacity but you also will need one of these if your screen cant handle 9v
batteries
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/In ... u=12015968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7808 regulater

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-x-L7808-LM78 ... 335a9a56a3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm... Do you own this battery? How big is it? On Overstock it said 6 in. x 1 in. x 4 in. but when I looked for it on Amazon it said 7.8 x 12 x 2.8 inches. I need to make sure before I order this thing or else it won't fit in a ZN-45
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
:facepalm:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Alright. I pretty much got all of the large stuff ordered. Here is the current list and cost of everything plush S&H:

N64-$25
PS1 screen-$55.99
battery-$17.99
ZN-45 case-$18.56
pth08080-$0

And now we wait
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 pm

ACK! Triple post! Alright you guys, I got some progress on the unit. I have extended the controller ports (yet to set up a switch between internal and external player 1 port) and relocated the cartridge slot. after the cartridge relocation, it occurred to me that i was no longer able to plug in the power adapter so I spent another 15 min. extending that (I don't have the battery yet). Not so sure about jumper pack relocation yet :? PICTURES:

I am probably just screwing myself over considering I haven't even gotten my case yet, but I wanted to keep working on the project.
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Re: geno whirl's N64 portable worklog

Post by geno whirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Well apparently (I can never spell that word) the PS1 screen is brand new. :roll: we will have to see about that. and i probably could have gotten less for it but i went with pay it now because I can't stand the pressure of auctions! :lol: As for the wire, it works fine at the moment, but who knows? it wouldn't be a portable if something didn't go wrong
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Got my battery and case in the mail today. They were all out of black cases so I got grey but who really cares? I'm gonna paint it anyway. There appear to be no screws on the battery and, contrary to the warning labels, I would like to get the battery out of its case. Maybe go after it with a saw? (while being careful of coure :wink: ) Now all that is left to get for the really outstanding big stuff is the screen. Sadly, I am running low on funds. I have about $15 left in my wallet :?
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Got my case in the mail today. I didn't get a chance to look at it that much because i had to leave for something but here is what i saw. The box looked pretty beat up like it had been in a basement for years. when i took it out of the box the screen and adapter were still in plastic and the screen still had little yellow sticky tabs on it. I am not 100% sure but this might just be new like promised
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

nachoz12341

Post by nachoz12341 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 pm

hows it going so far anything burn yet :P :D :lol:

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks for asking. Just tested if i could replace a joystick with a d-pad setup (old question I asked in a different topic) and it worked! but after doing this, I have realized that it is impractical considering tact switches don't have sensitivity like a joystick (mario 64 without being able to walk) but this has given me another good idea so keep looking to find out what it is :wink: . I got my PSone screen and it is sitting in my basement completely taken apart, waiting to be LED modded. Polycase and battery came too (did I already post that?). I will probably do an external battery so I might be able to have an internal cartridge slot.
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I got a 100uf capacitor for the 3.3v regulator but they did not have any 2.k-ohm resistors. Will a 2.2k-ohm resistor work?
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

nobble

Post by nobble » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:04 pm

geno whirl wrote:I got a 100uf capacitor for the 3.3v regulator but they did not have any 2.k-ohm resistors. Will a 2.2k-ohm resistor work?
Just use two 1k ohm resistors.

geno whirl

Re: geno whirl's N64 portable worklog (I need some help!)

Post by geno whirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Of course! should I wire them in series or parallel?
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Series.

nobble

Post by nobble » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

evilteddy wrote:Series.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 pm

And should I get 1/2 watt or 1/4 watt resistor? (I feel like such a noob :oops: )
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.