Genesis 1 with NES power supply

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

impossiblescissors
Genesis 1 with NES power supply

Post by impossiblescissors » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

A friend is giving me his dead Genesis (the original, Model 1601) because it died on him. He suspects that it's because he played the system for years using the NES power supply in place of the Genesis one which he lost. I don't think this is the issue, as the voltage-regulating circuitry should be able to compensate for the difference between the two power supplies.

Does this sound correct to the Genesis experts out there? Any do you have any general troubleshooting tips for things I should do to troubleshoot the Genesis? If the motherboard is truly dead, I'll probably use the case to house an Atom-based PC emulating the Genesis games.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Re: Genesis 1 with NES power supply

Post by ttsgeb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't know if that would be a reason for it do die, but if it did go in that way, you could just replace the 7805(the only thing with a heatsink) and it would work again...

impossiblescissors

Post by impossiblescissors » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Is there any easy way to determine if the 7805 is still good? Perhaps using a voltmeter to measure voltage in and voltage out?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 pm

impossiblescissors wrote:Is there any easy way to determine if the 7805 is still good? Perhaps using a voltmeter to measure voltage in and voltage out?
That would probably be a good way to start.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:25 pm

ttsgeb wrote:I don't know if that would be a reason for it do die, but if it did go in that way, you could just replace the 7805(the only thing with a heatsink) and it would work again...
It definitely is the reason it died. The NES power supply and Genesis power supply output different types of electricity. A Genesis needs DC power, which is what the Genesis power supply outputs. HOWEVER, the NES power supply outputs AC power. If you use a DC power supply on an NES(or any piece of electronics that uses an AC power supply), it would work just fine, but if you were to use an AC power supply on anything requiring DC power, you'll kill it. Replace the 2 7805s(or single 7805 if the Genesis contains a VA7 motherboard) and while you're at it, replace the capacitors, as they might have overheated too. That Genesis should be fine then.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Ace_1 wrote:
ttsgeb wrote:I don't know if that would be a reason for it do die, but if it did go in that way, you could just replace the 7805(the only thing with a heatsink) and it would work again...
It definitely is the reason it died. The NES power supply and Genesis power supply output different types of electricity. A Genesis needs DC power, which is what the Genesis power supply outputs. HOWEVER, the NES power supply outputs AC power. If you use a DC power supply on an NES(or any piece of electronics that uses an AC power supply), it would work just fine, but if you were to use an AC power supply on anything requiring DC power, you'll kill it. Replace the 2 7805s(or single 7805 if the Genesis contains a VA7 motherboard) and while you're at it, replace the capacitors, as they might have overheated too. That Genesis should be fine then.
:facepalm:

You're telling me the NES uses an AC-AC adaptor?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Yeah, it brings it down to 9 volts AC. (at least according to the writing on the power brick)
\

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm

The NES most certainly used an AC-AC adapter, which is the reason why you can find a bridge rectifier inside the metal can that's connected directly to the power input.

Running AC power into a transformer DOES NOT automatically make it DC output, it's still alternating, so you need the rectifiers to smooth it out.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm

kylechu wrote:Yeah, it brings it down to 9 volts AC. (at least according to the writing on the power brick)
kibble wrote:The NES most certainly used an AC-AC adapter, which is the reason why you can find a bridge rectifier inside the metal can that's connected directly to the power input.

Running AC power into a transformer DOES NOT automatically make it DC output, it's still alternating, so you need the rectifiers to smooth it out.

Crap. *runs away*
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar