Putting a Gamecube joystick in a SuperPad 64...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Mtrapp
Putting a Gamecube joystick in a SuperPad 64...

Post by Mtrapp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 pm

I've heard this is possible and a lot easier to do than putting one into a nintendo brand 64 controller. I have my super pad opened up and completely removed the joystick box from it because it's broken anyway. I've got a few questions, if you know the answers PLEASE help!

-Is it possible to put the stick from a 3rd party GC controller into it with just a soldering gun? I've heard some talk about the superpad's having "pots" for the x and y axis.. I think.

-Are the sticks in 3rd party gamecube controllers different on the inside than a nintendo GC controller? I've opened up one of my nintendo GC controllers so I can look at it.. it appears that the main stick's box is attached directly to the board, and the box for the C-stick appears the same exact way, only it's connected from the board via 4 wires together with a white ribbon.

-When people talk about putting there gamecube joysticks into 3rd party N64 controllers, do they actually put the entire joystick "box" and all into it, leaving nothing in the superpad from the original stick except the wiring? I guess this is what I don't understand really.

Sorry.. I am very new to this stuff and just looking for some answers. I did a lot of google searching and have seen some diagrams, but they still didn't really help me. I have seen the inside of the gamecube controller and have taken apart the joystick in my superpad, so I'm not completely clueless (I hope!).
Thanks!!!!!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Putting a Gamecube joystick in a SuperPad 64...

Post by hailrazer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

1. Yes you can put the stick in with a soldering gun but it is much easier with a soldering iron.

2. Most of the third party Gamecube sticks have the same basic design as the Official Gamecube stick.

3. Yes you put the box and all in the N64 stick. All that is left is the octagon shaped surround from the N64 stick. The middle has to be cut out of it so the Gamecube stick fits in it and has freedom to move about.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Mtrapp

Post by Mtrapp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Is installing the joystick that is for the C-stick easier to do? Since you can just pop off the heads.. and i'm pretty sure they are interchangable, so I could put the grey one on there in place of the c stick.

And do I just de-solder the wiring attached to the joystick box from the GC stick and then solder the remaining 5 wires from the superpad onto it? (is it this easy?)

If so, then I'll just have to search around for the wiring diagrams.

gamer255

Post by gamer255 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm interested in a wiring diagram too. :cry:

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Mtrapp wrote:Is installing the joystick that is for the C-stick easier to do? Since you can just pop off the heads.. and i'm pretty sure they are interchangable, so I could put the grey one on there in place of the c stick.

And do I just de-solder the wiring attached to the joystick box from the GC stick and then solder the remaining 5 wires from the superpad onto it? (is it this easy?)

If so, then I'll just have to search around for the wiring diagrams.
Yep.

Here's a diagram I made in Paint. LOL

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 pm

I think it varies, but for some reason for me the x axis has to be on top. It didn't work on bottom.
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.