Wintendo(finished) and Wingtendo 64p worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Crapload
Wintendo(finished) and Wingtendo 64p worklog

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Me and my friend Metrolf(in forums) are planning to make each of our own portable n64s. I had 2 super nice small 16:9 screens laying around from a car dvd and it is a perfect match for a portable. we have the screens up and running by battery and have hooked it up to the n64.

Metrolf will probably make his own worklog of making his nintendo 64 case portable.

here is what I have done/going to do:

cut a fat 1st gen xbox controller in half and have them on the sides of the screen. looks sweet. check out the picture i photoshopped:)
I did an easy hack making the L and R as buttons when pushed in because It did not work with the official xbox'.
I have all the components needed exept for the resistor for the pth08000 and an unofficial n64 controller for the analog stick replacement.
stuff seems great and all the things I have tested have yet worked exept for Metrolf who fried his first n64. (r.i.p)

BTW, is the name Wintendo taken? if not thats the name of this thing :)

I did a quick photoshop job inspired by my previous drawings, and it came out pretty nice. (like an xbox portable?)
Attachments
Bilde 133.jpg
Bilde 133.jpg (86.89KiB)Viewed 10280 times
n64 portable backside.jpg
n64 portable backside.jpg (77.98KiB)Viewed 10280 times
n64 portable.jpg
I packed the loose parts together and it actually came out something like this sweet piece of artwork.
n64 portable.jpg (133.18KiB)Viewed 10332 times
Last edited by Crapload on Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MigueLLLLL wrote:i will do it for 100 bucks but u have to send all the parts also your gonna have to wait till i finish mine :lol: just e-mail me

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Re: Portable n64 worklog

Post by brandonk318 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Wow, that is going to be a good looking n64p. I was thinking of using the fat xbox controller for another portable. Did you think about replacing the c buttons with an anlog stick or keeping it in the basic layout? Where are you going to put the z button?

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm

brandonk318 wrote:Wow, that is going to be a good looking n64p. I was thinking of using the fat xbox controller for another portable. Did you think about replacing the c buttons with an anlog stick or keeping it in the basic layout? Where are you going to put the z button?
I like the c buttons as they are in the picture, but maybe if it would be easy to have an analog stick there I think I would, I must check out if it works :)
as for the z button I think I might put a nearly invisibly small button where the left middle finger rests while holding the console.. I'd love to hear ideas from others:)
MigueLLLLL wrote:i will do it for 100 bucks but u have to send all the parts also your gonna have to wait till i finish mine :lol: just e-mail me

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:50 pm

metrolf
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:rasmooos

Re: Wintendo64 worklog

Post by metrolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:44 pm

photoshop really makes ideas come to life;) got me pretty stoked! I guess my worklog will be up in about a week or so. Also, I know ive said this before but: consider using the tiny button under the left shoulder button for L instead of Z, as Z is used more often and deserves the big button:)
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
thewise1 wrote:Super long, but incredibly epic.
YESSSSSS!!!
Oh my gosh! What have I done?

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 pm

metrolf wrote:photoshop really makes ideas come to life;) got me pretty stoked! I guess my worklog will be up in about a week or so. Also, I know ive said this before but: consider using the tiny button under the left shoulder button for L instead of Z, as Z is used more often and deserves the big button:)
smart! I was thinking about using the L3 as a button, I guess that would work pretty well as it is the same kind of button as the L and R I have already mounted(so I know it works).. Then I don't need to worry about any mounting or exterior uglyness :P

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm

that was a great idea. Just wire L to the button beneath the joystick! Your left shoulderbutton will then be Z and the right will be R. Sounds like a good layout to me:) maybe someone else has some thoughts about this?
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

metrolf

Re: Wintendo 64p worklog

Post by metrolf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 am

hmm, thats true.. thanks for the heads up, it'll be taken into consideration. Crapload will have to consider if its any games that use L and the D-pad at the same time thats worth playing.. Turok perhaps? idk, havent tried it in a while..
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:38 pm

cndowning wrote:I actually was thinking that exact game, although I think it still uses the stick, but as a looking, not moving function. As I recall that games uses the C-buttons to move back forward, and strafes left and right. But it's been quite awhile!
It really sucks that most of the games I had as a kid got stolen:/(whell, Im still a child) I could have tested it right now to see how it would work out. it's really late here in Norway, but is the thought of making a switch for L/Z any good? can't really remember how the Turok controller setup were.. it's really a must buy, I can still remember how I loved the Turok games:)

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 am

Just a quick update, no more webcam pics!:D
yes! first try n' no fry. I will post a picture after connecting video and stuff. The crap is powered by 6 AA Ikea batteries :)
Attachments
IMG_2372.jpg
had to downscale it insanely much
IMG_2372.jpg (198.26KiB)Viewed 10122 times

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Thats the way! glad we got them to work at the first try! Actually I just finished my progress thread, but I spent to long time writing it so that when I posted it I had to log in again and when I did, the entire post was gone :evil:
I guess I'll fk the progress thread and hang around in yours instead :wink: After all, we are having twins together :lol:

Hey, we got ourselves another crazy coincidence here! we're talking bout turok (killing dinosaurs) and u got urself a, should we say, relevant profile GIF :lol:
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:21 am

Raizer04 wrote:What is the make and model of that screen?
I think I've got the case around here somewhere... Yeah, its from a brand named Akai and it reads; "ACV-6107d"

Note that its hard to find any information on it, much less find one up for sale:(
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I threw together something in paint! Button layout and design ideas, basicaly :)
Attachments
n64p - front.JPG
Paint does the job!
n64p - front.JPG (27.05KiB)Viewed 9739 times
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

I've got problems guys!:( with all hooked up it doesn't get a picture:( but with donkey kong in and the jumper pack, i get the "no memory expansion detected" in various languages, and if i put in the memory expansion in and resets, it just freezes on the nintendo logo:/ I am troubleshooting as hell now...
If any of you guys have any clue whats going on please help :cry:

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Okay, todays update: we got quite a lot done today :)

First, we got Craploads nintendo working again! puh :shock:
He started relocating the cartridge slot. flux is a lifesaver :wink:

Since I am going to implement mine with a school project I will have to put my work on hold until we get going with it at school, but that doesn't stop me from helping Crapload with his :D

Still I couldn't help myself so I modded the reset button so that it will act as the start button instead :) see third pic.

Then I tried out an idea I got with Craploads case and modded in the c-buttons. Still havent had the time to hook it up and test it, but it probably works. I hope. see pic 1-2
Attachments
inside c-buttons.JPG
c-button mod inside
inside c-buttons.JPG (49.54KiB)Viewed 9721 times
front c-buttons.JPG
c-button mod
front c-buttons.JPG (60.01KiB)Viewed 9721 times
restart-start mod.JPG
restart to start mod
restart-start mod.JPG (84.41KiB)Viewed 9721 times
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!