Wintendo(finished) and Wingtendo 64p worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Crapload
Re: Wintendo 64p worklog

Post by Crapload » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I hope it won't be chaos in the post as we approach case construction :lol:
MigueLLLLL wrote:i will do it for 100 bucks but u have to send all the parts also your gonna have to wait till i finish mine :lol: just e-mail me

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 am

So, I first did the relocation, but it didn't work, thanks to shockslayers timelapse vid I saw what was wrong, I had soldered the wires in the holes where the pins for the cart had already been. so I moved all one step out. tthis time the wires was too long(in pic), I have now shorted them down to a perfect lenght:)

Metrolf did an amazing job on the right side controller. THANKS;)

So the next thing on the agenda for me is a little case work. got the backside and the gamecover cut out yesterday, but nothing more. There is so many tests at school this week. can't get any more done before the weekend..
Attachments
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2376.jpg (174.26KiB)Viewed 8834 times
IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg (231KiB)Viewed 8834 times
MigueLLLLL wrote:i will do it for 100 bucks but u have to send all the parts also your gonna have to wait till i finish mine :lol: just e-mail me

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 pm

By any chance, would the circuit board of that screen look like this?

If so, I have that same screen. :) I figured out how to use s-video on it if you want that information.

Also, nice progress! I'm really liking the case.

metrolf
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:rasmooos

Post by metrolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Mario wrote:By any chance, would the circuit board of that screen look like this?

If so, I have that same screen. :) I figured out how to use s-video on it if you want that information.

Also, nice progress! I'm really liking the case.
Nice! this was exactly what we needed :D I couldn't figure out how to wire the s-video, do you mind showing it with a better picture or something?

And also, we are wondering how we are gonna get the other board working (the audio amp on it is desireable :wink: ) None of us has enough experience to see how circuit boards like this works without studying it really thorough :? Still we have no idea what to do, I bet its obvious 8) Something with 5V? Anyways I have never, ever seen a wire like the one that followed with the screen! The s-video like plug :wink:

And again, thanks a bunch!
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
thewise1 wrote:Super long, but incredibly epic.
YESSSSSS!!!
Oh my gosh! What have I done?

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Old and crappy pic :/ the extra board with the audio amp and color/brightness and stuff would be amazing. The only problem is that we can't figure out how the 9pin s-video works, I ordered a 9pin to normal s-video cable on eBay. Turns out the cable ment for this screen is a lot bigger and the pins are slightly different. We have tried hard to locate what the different wires are so we cut and stripped the cable on the middle, then connected the wires as they were again. We did get sound, but the picture seemed to get lost.
Attachments
Bilde 135.jpg
Bilde 135.jpg (107.07KiB)Viewed 9434 times

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 pm

The picture threw me off at first, but I realized it was flipped because it was taken with a webcam. :P

I still have that original board, so I took a look at it. Seems that the audio amp is a D2822 IC, so I looked up the datasheet. Here it is:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... 757_DS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would desolder the chip, then follow the component diagram on page 4. Use the top one. You should be able to find all the components on that brown board there, since it used the chip the same way. The "RL" on the schematic is just the speaker.
The only thing is, I'm not sure how you would use the volume control knob then. :? Perhaps, if you have room, you should keep the board and chop off pieces you don't need.

I'm using that same exact screen in my portable. :) Since I am building my own audio amp, I had to find a way to get the screen brightness/color controls off that board. I looked at all the traces, measured the values of the resistors, and rebuilt it on a different board. You can see it in the bottom here:

By the way, that is my portable. :) You can click the pic in my sig if you want to see more pictures.

I found that the screen does not have true s-video as a stock option. If you'll look underneath the board at the 4-pin connector that goes to the screen, you'll see that there is some information printed on there. There is TFT and video GND (both are just ground), video, and TFT V+9v (+6-9v input.) The video input is just composite. To get s-video, I had to look up the datasheet for the video chip, which is a NJM2529 chip. Here si the datasheet:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... e05070.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took extensive research to figure out how to get s-video into that chip, but I did it. I don't remember exactly how, but luckily, I made this diagram.

You disconnect pin 6 from ground and input your chroma (color) signal from the N64. You input luma (brightness) to the same place composite went. Then, s-video should work. If not, try switching the chroma and luma wires. I might have those mixed up.

I hope all that wasn't too complex. Good luck!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Dammit you stole my idea.

:mrgreen:

I'm using a different screen though XD

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Mario wrote: It took extensive research to figure out how to get s-video into that chip, but I did it. I don't remember exactly how, but luckily, I made this diagram.

You disconnect pin 6 from ground and input your chroma (color) signal from the N64. You input luma (brightness) to the same place composite went. Then, s-video should work. If not, try switching the chroma and luma wires. I might have those mixed up.

I hope all that wasn't too complex. Good luck!

Hey mario! :) ur help has been awesome, but to be honest none of us gets it.. :? We just dont know enough about electronics... The audio amp should be conquerable even so..

But you may still be able to guide us through most of our problems if you would mind taking your time :wink:

I have taken some pics of the board (I actually think that its slightly different from yours. very slightly!)

Both sides of the board actually, and I couldn't help notice that it says RGB on the board. Does that mean that its possible to RGB-mod it? :idea:
Attachments
rgb moddable.JPG
This got me interested!
rgb moddable.JPG (76.17KiB)Viewed 9350 times
Scan.jpg
Scan of the other side of the board, if its of any interest
Scan.jpg (144.19KiB)Viewed 9350 times
Where to connect L-C.JPG
Mario, if u could copy this pic and show where to connect luma and chroma it would be awesome!
Where to connect L-C.JPG (147.47KiB)Viewed 9350 times
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 pm

I would love to help with the s-video. But, I will need a higher resolution picture than that. Use the best camera you have and get me a picture of that area. I would take a picture of mine, but it's covered in wires and hot glue. :lol:

As for the RGB, I'm pretty sure that location leads directly into the LCD, meaning it's probably not your standard RGB signal. Besides, it's nearly impossible to get RGB from an N64 anyway.

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:27 am

Yeah, so I was just wondering if anyone has successfully done the thumbstick replacement with an xbox stick to a retro64 controller. I tried it out and I only got little mario to go superslow, but in the right directions with a little testing.
Metrolf did it with a gamecube stick and it worked perfectly, so it's not a big problem for me, just that it would save me some time and money to just use one of the xbox sticks I've got. :)

nachoz12341

Post by nachoz12341 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 pm

if it doesnt work just replace the top of the joy stick it will save you a lot of pain

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24 am

nachoz12341 wrote:if it doesnt work just replace the top of the joy stick it will save you a lot of pain
By that you mean taking the rubber stick from the xbox controller and putting it on a gamecube stick?
We thought of that, and we probably will do that when we get another gamecube stick available, but we're wondering why the xbox stick didn't work very good, cause it's supposed to as far as I've heard. Mario walked really slowly :|
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, it didn't work on mine either. IIRC you have to use an S type controller, the pots are different on those.

Crapload

Post by Crapload » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 am

A friend is giving me a defected GC controller anyways :) he said something about buttons getting stuck in the case. must be some sugar stuff in there x)

metrolf

Post by metrolf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 am

Update!

Got the screen and buttons on the front of my case. There's still a few dents and bumps that I will have to fill and sand down. Still haven't gotten around to the controll stick and D-pad yet, but thats a breeze! 8)

Originally I thought I was the first one to think of making the restart button the start button so I was really looking forward to some nice feedback on that part, but then I saw shockslayers 11th and went all; fffffuuuu.... His eleventh was awesome though! :lol: On the other hand, he didn't bother putting the red button inside the restart button like I did so I'm cool! 8)

Anyho, pics;
Attachments
Working gamecube stick mod.JPG
Its working! Awesome!
Working gamecube stick mod.JPG (73.3KiB)Viewed 9444 times
front right side buttons.JPG
Close-up on right side buttons
front right side buttons.JPG (76.93KiB)Viewed 9444 times
front unfinished.JPG
Front side
front unfinished.JPG (78.06KiB)Viewed 9444 times
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
YESSSSSS!!!