Modding a dreamcast with ethernet

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

crimson70
Modding a dreamcast with ethernet

Post by crimson70 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm still perrty new with this whole modding stuff and did some searching on the topic yet no one had any real answers. Is there any way to modd a dreamcast to convert a phone line to ethernet. I don't know like gutting the adapter and somehow slapping in a ethernet card or a wireless card. I know that there is a broadband adapter but the cheapest I found one for was 150.00. Who knows maybe someone can make a Dreamcast Laptop with wireless internet or ethernet.

tom61

Re: Modding a dreamcast with ethernet

Post by tom61 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Not feasible to turn the modem into a BBA. Internet browsing is very limited on the Dreamcast, so you're not missing much if your portable lacks internet connectivity.

Bobzilla

Post by Bobzilla » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:21 am

BBA pretty useless.. but this device marked the very first Ebay auction I won with my cell phone.. I thought I was so cool back then.. noob..
http://portablog64.blogspot.com/

No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:33 pm

No way to convert the modem to a BBA but there has been some work on creating an IDE interface with a Dreamcast and running a network card through a PCI slot.

http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/g2bus.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's mostly in Japanese but has some really nice, detailed pictures on there.

Still, too complicated for something that's essentially useless. The BBA is something that looks nice in a collection but that's about it.