Genesis 2 cart slot questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

wallydawg
Genesis 2 cart slot questions

Post by wallydawg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 am

So I'm trying to relocate the cart slot on my genesis 2 and I got almost all the way finished when I accidently lifted up a trace on one of the connections. I've looked on the board to see if I could rewire it to something but it doesnt seem to go anywhere, what I can tell from not knowing anything about it haha. From what I can tell on this pinout is it is pin is B05. Can anyone tell me a more about this, how to fix it or if this pin is even used? Here are some pics taken from a cell phone so hopefully you can tell what is going on here:

Sorry I dont have a close up on the back of the board, it came out really blurry. Hopefully you can make it out on the posted picture and I'll take another pic tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to wire the 32x board to this eventually so I would like to know mostly about that if it needs said pin along with if it is needed for a regular genesis cart slot. Thanks for any help.

themadhacker

Re: Genesis 2 cart slot questions

Post by themadhacker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:01 am

the genesis2 is only 2 layers, so the pin can not go to any hidden traces. My best bet is that it is not used. Just do the rest of the relocation and test it out with a bunch of games.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Quetzalcoatlus
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Quetzalcoatlus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm

I checked on my Genesis 2 and I think you should be able to connect it to pin 2 of the middle chip in your first picture (the one right behind the cartridge slot).

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm

It appears B05 goes to something (A10), so you should probably try and connect it.

http://www.gamesx.com/cartouts/gennycart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

thewizdawg wrote:It appears B05 goes to something (A10), so you should probably try and connect it.

http://www.gamesx.com/cartouts/gennycart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I noticed that but I have no idea what they mean by A10, if it's cartridge spot A10 or what, from looking at the board doesn't seem it would be though.

There is a little connection under the B05 pin so I'm going to try and connect it to that. Originally I thought that was ruined too but it's still got the metal around it. It's pretty tiny so I cant get a good picture of it, hopefully not too tiny that I won't be able to solder to it. I'm going to test it out on a loose sonic cart since the 32x seems to be too much of a hassle to unscrew everything just for troubleshooting.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Well the connection is way too small for me to solder it to so I'll ask my dad for help since he's been soldering stuff for years now. Some good news though is that I did go ahead and wire the 32x to it and I at least get the Sega copyright screen (which doesn't show up without a game in) so it looks like the rewiring is mostly a success and I didn't kill anything. I'm pretty happy about that.

I'll take some pictures and hopefully fix my broken pin and then this will become a work thread on whatever I decide to end up doing to this.

edit so I don't triple post: Got it to sort of work. It will sometimes boot up the game when I move the 32x cart board (the part that looks like a game that you put in the genesis) in a certain area, but the games usually freeze. I think my wires are too long.