Hailrazer's 3rd N64 Portable --- The Kamikaze Clone

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Hailrazer's 3rd N64 Portable --- The Kamikaze Clone

Post by hailrazer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:37 pm

MarioOwnsAll wrote:Yea don't worry too much about the internal hard wired memory card hail, if you can make it work great but if not just forgo the built in memory and don't bother with including the memory card slot on the back of the unit like the original kamikaze 64. I'll just use an external controller for the games that require a memory stick.
Will do.

PS: First coat of paint done. Yea now I can see all the flaws. :lol:

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Post by NateN34 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Don't think I have seen inside any of your portables. This would be the first one. :wink:
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm

NateN34 wrote:Don't think I have seen inside any of your portables. This would be the first one. :wink:
Umm I have pics of the insides of every one of my portables in their respective build threads. :?:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 pm

cndowning wrote:Ah, so spreading filler that's about 52 degrees is most likely the problem I'm having. Very good to know. Oh hey and I wanted to let you know to, if you get low on the Filler, I can get it for about $15 bucks a tube plus about $5 bucks for shipping, so if you want to save a few bucks next time you need some let me know. *update* But then I see you're in the auto body repair biz, probably no need to extend my discount as I'm sure you get it too. hahaha :lol:
haha, It got up to 20 degrees so I figured out I go outside and use my bondo. Maybe that's why I'm having problems.

Are you just using straight bondo without the hardener?
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 am

looking sexy hail I got a question about the charging of the unit though, can you only charge the unit while its off? or can you charge the unit while its running off wall power? (I assume you can't charge the unit while its running off the batteries because the charger can't produce enough amperage to support the n64 and the screen and charge the batteries all at the same time).

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 am

it's a bit more complicated than that :o
to play off batteries, you have the switch in one direction for battery power. to charge it, put it into wall power or off mode and play with wall power or with no power.(off)

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 am

mako321 wrote:it's a bit more complicated than that :o
to play off batteries, you have the switch in one direction for battery power. to charge it, put it into wall power or off mode and play with wall power or with no power.(off)
I know that, its just I've tried charging the system while it was on battery power and the game kept freezing so I though the charger couldn't produce enough amperage. I've also been kicking around the idea of having a standard power switch and making left wall power and right battery power because that way if you don't have the unit connected to wall power its the same thing as having it off.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 am

MarioOwnsAll wrote:
I know that, its just I've tried charging the system while it was on battery power and the game kept freezing so I though the charger couldn't produce enough amperage. I've also been kicking around the idea of having a standard power switch and making left wall power and right battery power because that way if you don't have the unit connected to wall power its the same thing as having it off.
Yea that's what I do :)
My Portable Systems:

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 pm

hailrazer wrote:
MarioOwnsAll wrote:
Updates please!!!

I'm a big fan of yours :D

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Got the third paint coat on. One more to go and it will be perfect.

All that's left is to wire it up and make the breakout/controller box.

Should be able to wrap it up by next weekend. ( I let the final paint coat dry 1 week before putting in parts so I don't flux it up).
My Portable Systems:

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:15 am

hailrazer wrote:Got the third paint coat on. One more to go and it will be perfect.

All that's left is to wire it up and make the breakout/controller box.

Should be able to wrap it up by next weekend. ( I let the final paint coat dry 1 week before putting in parts so I don't flux it up).
Sounds awesome hail, this one went fast. It hasn't even been a month.
EDIT: Oh and I broke my guitar hero drum set, one of the mounting posts from the bottom broke off. What would you recommend to fuse plastic together, the drums work perfectly, they just wont fit on the stand anymore until I re-attach the mounting post.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 am

aceboy44 wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
MarioOwnsAll wrote:
Updates please!!!

I'm a big fan of yours :D
Hail works out of town mondays through wednesdays so he doesn't work on portables during that time.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:52 am

MarioOwnsAll wrote: Sounds awesome hail, this one went fast. It hasn't even been a month.
EDIT: Oh and I broke my guitar hero drum set, one of the mounting posts from the bottom broke off. What would you recommend to fuse plastic together, the drums work perfectly, they just wont fit on the stand anymore until I re-attach the mounting post.
Black Abs Cement from Lowes.You will need to use a lot of it and it will need to dry for around 10 days before using it again.
My Portable Systems:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Final paint coat done.

It will be left to dry for around 5 days.

Meanwhile I will wire up everything out of the N64 board.

Then when the paint is hard as a rock I will put all the parts in and attach the wires and button it up :)

Still working on the breakout box, not happy with it yet.
My Portable Systems:

gamer255

Post by gamer255 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:29 pm

I love the look.Is it ok if I make a clone :wink: