Super pad plus annoyances

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Super pad plus annoyances

Post by thewise1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 am

I bought a super pad to be a multipurpose n64 home controller but none of my rumble paks work with it, third party or official. Memory paks work fine though. Usually it registers one button held down and nothing else works.

I tested it in smash bros and in battle the Z button is held down and in the menus the joystick is held down. They are probably both held down but you can't notice it since they don't affect each other.

I opened up the controller to check for a short but everything looks fine. Except there is a resistor and a capacitor on the memory pak slot to ground. :?
Also tested with starfox. So the controls that are held down are R and the buttons work but the joystick doesn't And the official rumble works and the 3rd party doesn't.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with rumble pak super pad troubles?

BTW it's super pad plus. The one with only two flanks and the joystick and d pad on one side.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ToastBucket

Re: Super pad plus annoyances

Post by ToastBucket » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

sounds pretty broken
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Opened her up and took out the resistor and capacitor. I looked at the board and it appears that where the trace under the resistor was cut. So I tested it and the memory pak wouldn't read, so I bridged it and the memory pak works now.

Then I tested rumble, but that still didn't work. So now I don't know what to try. Oh and also I tested the auto button, that hasn't been working either.

Any ideas at all would be helpful.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Well it sounds like you just undid a "revision" to the board. It should technically work slightly worse now. lol. But if your problem is with the buttons and joystick not working, then something attached to the memory interface wouldn't have any effect on that anyways. I agree that it sounds broken. Maybe the main chip came unsoldered or something. Been twisting it much? lol.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 pm

I have a MakoPad 64 (same controller but clear)...

The only issue I've had with it is that the little plastic piece holding "Z" in, broke (fixed with hot glue) :P ...

As far as the "Auto" button, I still haven't figured out what that does :? . And when you hit the "Slow" button while playing Starfox, all it does is pause and unpause repeatedly :wtf:

Oh wait, one last issue: The plastic button on the analog stick fell off, so I have to manipulate the metal pole underneath. Hurts my thumb.

Hope you get it worked out. These are great-feeling controllers and it would be a shame if your's was messed up :) .
God Bless Hot Glue

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:54 am

I have a SuperPad 64 Plus that i got of ebay for $8.00. It works fine but the top of the joystick broke off. How do I hook up a gamecube stick to it? I saw a diagram for the normal SuperPad. Is it the same?
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

JariV

Post by JariV » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 am

Yes.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:47 am

VX goes to the middle of the horizontal stick
VY goes to the middle of the vertical stick
VD goes to the top of both sticks
VG goes to the bottom of both sticks.

This is an educated guess, VD = VDD = power, VG = ground, and then the X and Y axes. If everythings backwards then "top" and "bottom" should be reversed.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:51 am

As far as the "Auto" button, I still haven't figured out what that does :? . And when you hit the "Slow" button while playing Starfox, all it does is pause and unpause repeatedly :wtf:
Oh, and the 'auto' button will make any other button fire repeatedly when you hold it down. Hold the auto button while pressing another button, and it will turn that button into an "auto" button, you can do so with whatever buttons you want, repeat the process to turn it off. (This is how my auto controller works anyways).

Slo-mo is just autofire on the start button. It is working properly; slo-mo never was much good in starfox cause you accidentally exit all the time or something.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:03 pm

cndowning wrote:Sadly though, this info comes of no consequence because I managed to rip the tracers off the controller's PCB by mistake.
You could follow the traces back to the chip or another point to solder to.