Dreamcast Mod Idea

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Bobzilla
Dreamcast Mod Idea

Post by Bobzilla » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:16 pm

This might seem rather pointless but I always thought it would be funny to fit a pico atx mobo into a dreamcast and then run a DC emulator from it. That is all.
http://portablog64.blogspot.com/

No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

AngelArm1110

Re: Dreamcast Mod Idea

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:24 am

exactly what do you find funny about that??

Bobzilla

Post by Bobzilla » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 am

Well it's more like ironic. I'm sure it's already been done anyway.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 am

ohhhhh, i see, lol. especially considering that the dreamcast has a keyboard and mouse and is capable of running windows CE, i get it now. all that considered it actually would be a pretty interesting little project. you might just wanna pursue that one dude, it would be like one of those mac minis, only dreamcast, lol

Bobzilla

Post by Bobzilla » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am

I'll put it on my list of things I want to do. It'll take a back seat for a while though..

Of course, I would want to keep it looking like a DC as much as possible (externally). The GD-ROM drive might be tricky. Will also need to get some excitement going with NullDC or Chankast. It's been a while since they've had updates. My programming knowledge stops at a TI-82 and that that was 15 years ago.

If I ever do build a pico, it should be pretty easy to stuff it in a DC shell. Relocate or just patch a new RJ485 to look like it has the BBA. Then of course there is the VMU which will be some sort of USB flash memory device. I know there are some VMU emulators that we could run from it.

Getting excited now. Can't wait to play Seaman on the DCPiCo. That's its name. Or maybe DiCo? Nope, that one looks suspicious.

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Post by NateN34 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Bobzilla wrote:I'll put it on my list of things I want to do. It'll take a back seat for a while though..

Of course, I would want to keep it looking like a DC as much as possible (externally). The GD-ROM drive might be tricky. Will also need to get some excitement going with NullDC or Chankast. It's been a while since they've had updates. My programming knowledge stops at a TI-82 and that that was 15 years ago.

If I ever do build a pico, it should be pretty easy to stuff it in a DC shell. Relocate or just patch a new RJ485 to look like it has the BBA. Then of course there is the VMU which will be some sort of USB flash memory device. I know there are some VMU emulators that we could run from it.

Getting excited now. Can't wait to play Seaman on the DCPiCo. That's its name. Or maybe DiCo? Nope, that one looks suspicious.
DCpico, makes it sound like a Sega Pico and a Dreamcast. Because Pico was a Sega system too.
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:20 pm

you know what you should do for the disc drive/gdrom replacement, get one of those laptop dvd drives, or try to find a really small one that you can hook up to the pico board. like maybe a slimeline sata drive like this one:

then you could just remove the tray, and hook up all the electronics accordingly, and put it right under the disc lid

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:51 am

Someone did it before.

http://gizmodo.com/5099120/dreamcast-pc ... with-feces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's still a cool idea though, would like to see someone else do it.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am

well i'll be damned, lol, at least we know it works now :)

Bobzilla

Post by Bobzilla » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 am

Looks good but that fan. H000ge..

mod man

Post by mod man » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 pm

i got a project im working right now (not right right now lol). it has to do with reprogramming games that are already made to be playable on the dreamcast. only reason i chose dreamcast especialy for this is because it can read cd-R's with no mod chip in it. an example of what im talking about is say halo 1 for xbox. im still in the early stages of developing a quicker method than the whole take it down to raw cod and reprogram to new system method.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm

mod man wrote:i got a project im working right now (not right right now lol). it has to do with reprogramming games that are already made to be playable on the dreamcast. only reason i chose dreamcast especialy for this is because it can read cd-R's with no mod chip in it. an example of what im talking about is say halo 1 for xbox. im still in the early stages of developing a quicker method than the whole take it down to raw cod and reprogram to new system method.
Yep, and I was elected president yesturday! Woo!

/sarcasm