The new GenCore

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

geno whirl
The new GenCore

Post by geno whirl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey you guys. I was surfing the web today and stumbled upon this http://stoneagegamer.com/gencorepre-ord ... ysept.aspx
It looks like you would be able to make a really good portable with this! :D
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
:facepalm:
Frankencase.

nobble

Re: The new GenCore

Post by nobble » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Those have really bad audio and video quality but if you want i guess it would be a small portable.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Well I just thought someone might be interested. When more is known about this console it might look more/less appealing to make into a portable.
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
Frankencase.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:14 pm

geno whirl wrote:Well I just thought someone might be interested. When more is known about this console it might look more/less appealing to make into a portable.
It's been out a while now. And what is known is that it's crap. :(
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Just to clear things up. There are 4 new systems.

Hyperkin's systems

GEN Mobile - Portable Genesis with cartridge port, 2.4 inch screen, and 20 built in Genesis games for around $60.00

GEN Core - Console version with cartridge port, shaped like Sonic's head, has 2 controllers, and 20 built in games for around $40.00
I have one of these.. I agree the sound isn't too good for many games. But the compatibility is MUCH better than the FC3Plus, or any other clone I've seen.

Innex's systems (Innex is the same manufacturer as the Retro Duo)

Retrogen - NOT LICENSED Genesis portable, 2.8 inch screen for around $50.00

Genesis Firecore - Traditional Genesis, 20 games built in, 2 controllers for around $50.00

---
I heard that basically all the systems use the same mobo. The only actual difference is the built in games.

(some of the info was copy pasted from this thread, because I'm lazy as hell sometimes).

CheapAssGamer

Post by CheapAssGamer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:08 am

Hey folks,
I've got a retrogen a while back and I've, since, become obsessed with it. While audio is not 100% its good enough for me. However there is a more pressing issue of compatibility. After watching the folks over at sega-16 for a while it seems that a small subsection of games don't work. Including flash carts. Initially the problem was thought to be that the mobo didn't have the necessary lines to use buffer writing properly on large games. However, now it seems (thanks to ChillyWilly@sega-16 for this ) that the real culprit may be the fact that the system is setup to send 3.7v to the cart slot instead of the standard 5v that the traditional hardware uses.

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php ... 915.0.html more info can be found here.

Can this be fixed? I figure if the folks here at benheck can't do it nobody can.

DK

Post by DK » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:48 am

Could add a step up converter on the line that provides power to the cart slot. Boost the 3.7v to 5v.

CheapAssGamer

Post by CheapAssGamer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 am

http://www.holtek.com/english/products/power_8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would any of these be appropriate?

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 am

I believe all of those decrease the voltage (notice the inputs are 6v or 7v and the output is always less)
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:07 am

Oh sorry. I misread the input voltage :oops: I think those would work but a second opinion is always good :)
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.

CheapAssGamer

Post by CheapAssGamer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 am

Is it possible to install a stepup to 5v before the cart slot then a step down to 3.7v again after just do I don't fry everything?

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 am

I just opened up my GenCore for a new project I'm working on and was amazed at how small the Genesis board is.
Its exactly 10 X 5 cm (3,94 X 1,97 inch), the video board is 6 X 2 cm (2,36 X 0,79 inch). Such a tiny console and still a lot of space is wasted. This could make a really small portable if anyone is interested.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:31 pm

If you could post pictures of the GENCore's board, I'd like to see them. I have been hearing of some voltage issues with the new Geniclones, so I would like to see how to fix said issues(cartridge slot voltage being too low, mainly).

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Ok I will do that next week, I'm not at home for the weekend.