PyCast progress (cont.) - Need help, again

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

PyGuy
PyCast progress (cont.) - Need help, again

Post by PyGuy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Weeks ago, my Dad insisted that he should help me with my DCp. We both noticed a strange proprietary power connector on the end of the wire. Without hesitation, Dad cut this connector off. The end of the wire began to get hot and started smoking. When he shook the smoke off, he told me he could splice the + and - wires away from eachother to make the battery work again. He did so and we got non-proprietary connectors to replace the connection. I really think the battery's done for ever since smoke came out of the wire. My Dad doesn't think so, but I think he's being overly-confident with messing with power. :facepalm:

Is the battery done for due to smoke at the end of the wire? If not, what should I do? I have a PicoPSU currently connected to the DC, so I'm ready for advice.

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Re: PyCast progress (cont.) - Need help, again

Post by Klaymator14 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 am

I think if the + and - is touched together... then yes, I am afraid it MIGHT BE fried :( Sorry dude.

-Blayke
Last edited by Klaymator14 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 am

I'm not sure what kind of battery you have, but it sounds like li-ion. The protection circuit probably tripped. I'm not sure if there is any way to fix it. The cells themselves are probably still ok. How long was it shorted?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Yeah, is it NI-MH, li-ion, or other? Sounds like when he cut it, the positive and ground lines of the wire touched. Even if they did not, whatever was used to cut them may have bridged them for a second.

Like vskid said, if they are li-ion or li-po batteries, the protection board is probably just tripped. Some of them can be reset, some need a fuse replace, and some are just one time use only.

Excellent

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm

shockslayer says that trying to charge the batteries springs the protection circuit back to life sometimes, it worked for me.