FC 16 Go internal pics -- First Commercial Snes Portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
FC 16 Go internal pics -- First Commercial Snes Portable

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:44 pm

First on the internet I think :)

The Power Adapter is rated for 5v - 1.0A

It draws 475mA at 5v with volume around 50%.

It is designed to run on a 3.7v 1300mAh battery included.

I am guessing it will run around 3 hours with that battery.

A lot of room in there on the sides but not depthwise.

The screen is only 5/16" deep at the deepest point. :shock:

Also notice the double "led" lines going in. Seems to be an led screen. And a 3.3v screen as well. Interesting.
The first Led line has 17.9v going to it. The second is a ground.

A couple of thoughts :

Yes the video is "slightly" blurry. Not real noticeable but a bit less crisp then the 3.5" screens I use on my Nomad Lcd Hack.

So I have confirmed that the included screen is at fault and not the Yobo system. I attached a 3.5" screen I use on my Nomads and it is perfectly clear, the included screen is slightly blurry.

Now the problem is that the included screen runs on 3.3v, but the 3.5" I have is to dim at 3.3v. No problem because the system also runs off 5v. So just hook up to the 5v source. Nope because the battery is only 3.7v. arrghhh.

Compatibility seems nearly perfect. Sound and gameplay has been spot on. Here is my list so far :

Aladin
Caesars Palace
Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball
Clayfighter
Clue
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Final Fight
Fzero
Hook
Illusion of Gaia
Mortal Kombat
Ncaa Basketball
Nhlpa Hockey 93
Star Fox
Secret of Evermore
Super Black Bass
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Super Metroid
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars
The Simpsons Bart's Nightmare
Top Gear
Zelda Link to the Past

The only one I found that wouldn't work is John Madden 94. Controls were glitching.
Last edited by hailrazer on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

thewise1

Re: FC 16 Go internal pics -- First Commercial Snes Portable

Post by thewise1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Awesome, as long as the compatibility with most SNES games is good this could make a great replacement snes.

By the way hailrazer, I forgot to compliment you on your awesome guides. THANKS!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 pm

that is epic. Now, can you tell me if super metroid plays properly on it? also, get moar screen pics and tell us if it looks any good.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Do I see a solder spot for a Super NES lockout chip? Look at the empty solder spot U9 on the motherboard.
hailrazer wrote: Image
It's exactly like the one on the FC Twin's Super NES board before it got "Made in China" printed on the box and console(the Super NES board was redesigned when Yobo started to put "Made in China" on the box and console, and as such, the solder spot was eliminated). Look at this old picture of the very first FC Twin made before Yobo put their name on it. Right on the bottom right corner of the board, there's an empty solder spot for a Super NES lockout chip taken off a cartridge:
hailrazer wrote:Image
I smell full compatibility on this thing! Get a Super NES lockout from a crappy Sports title, and off you go! Full compatibility with all games, including those with the SA-1 co-processor.

By the way, is that a CXA1145 I see on the top right corner of the FC16 Go's motherboard? If so, I only have this to say: EWW! The original non-Yobo-branded FC Twin had the CXA1145, which resulted in blurry Super NES video output, which would mean the same thing would be the case on the FC16 Go. I thought Yobo ditched the CXA1145 in favor of the superior CXA1645 found in their jeweled FC Twin and the FC3 Plus. What's a CXA1145 doing in the FC16 Go in that case?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 pm

A couple of thoughts :

Yes the video is "slightly" blurry. Not real noticeable but a bit less crisp then the 3.5" screens I use on my Nomad Lcd Hack.

Compatibility seems nearly perfect. Sound and gameplay has been spot on. Here is my list so far :

Aladin
Caesars Palace
Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball
Clayfighter
Clue
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Final Fight
Fzero
Hook
Illusion of Gaia
Mortal Kombat
Ncaa Basketball
Nhlpa Hockey 93
Star Fox
Secret of Evermore
Super Black Bass
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Super Metroid
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars
The Simpsons Bart's Nightmare
Top Gear
Zelda Link to the Past

The only one I found that wouldn't work is John Madden 94. Controls were glitching.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 pm

can you get power ratings and specs on the thing?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 pm

The Power Adapter is rated for 5v - 1.0A

It draws 475mA at 5v with volume around 50%.

It is designed to run on a 3.7v 1300mAh battery included.

I am guessing it will run around 3 hours with that battery.
My Portable Systems:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Any pictures of the top half? I wonder if the screen could be used separate from the bottom.
thewise1 wrote:By the way hailrazer, I forgot to compliment you on your awesome guides. THANKS!
Yep, they're great. Good pics, thorough description. 8) So far, he has made me want a Nomad, a 3.5" screen, and now this. :lol:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 pm

You want me to take apart the top half. :shock:

Guess I can. :P

A lot of room in there on the sides but not depthwise.

The screen is only 5/16" deep at the deepest point. :shock:

I don't know if I could even get any of the other 3.5" in there if I wanted to.

Also notice the double "led" lines going in. Seems to be an led screen. And a 3.3v screen as well. Interesting.
The first Led line has 17.9v going to it. The second is a ground.
Last edited by hailrazer on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Portable Systems:

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks for the internal pics hailrazer. Looks like this would be a good thing to buy and rip apart and "repackage" in a better case with better controls, batteries, and screen. How does the screen look on this guy?
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:36 pm

The screen is nice and bright and clear. It is "slightly" and I mean slightly blurry. Not quite as sharp as the 3.5" screens we use. But the majority of people would never notice it.

And I think it would be quite easy to modify this case with better controls and a sharper screen IF it's not the chip that is making it slightly blurry.
My Portable Systems:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 pm

So I have confirmed that the included screen is at fault and not the Yobo system. I attached a 3.5" screen I use on my Nomads and it is perfectly clear, the included screen is slightly blurry.

Now the problem is that the included screen runs on 3.3v, but the 3.5" I have is to dim at 3.3v. No problem because the system also runs off 5v. So just hook up to the 5v source. Nope because the battery is only 3.7v. arrghhh.

We'll do some testing and see what happens :)
My Portable Systems:

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:13 pm

thanks for the updates hailrazer. Ill probably pick one up next time i go shopping on ebay.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for the pics of the top half. That screen's board looks tiny. Do you know if the "VIN" is plain ol' composite?
I'm almost positive you could find 5v in there. Most stuff upconverts to 5v so there is a constant voltage instead of it fluctuating with battery charge. And doesn't the FC 16 portion use 5v?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 pm

vskid wrote:Thanks for the pics of the top half. That screen's board looks tiny. Do you know if the "VIN" is plain ol' composite?
I'm almost positive you could find 5v in there. Most stuff upconverts to 5v so there is a constant voltage instead of it fluctuating with battery charge. And doesn't the FC 16 portion use 5v?
The wall adapter is 5v, but I haven't checked to see if there is an upconverted 5v source from the battery yet.

And yes "vin" is plain ole composite. I am going to run a different source in to it tomorrow to see if the screen is fine with a new source. It may just be the composite line going to the screen is blurry because the A/v out line is fine. If that's the case I will just tie into the A/V out line.

If not I will pursue a 5v source :)
My Portable Systems: