Oxzgen's Easy Cartridge Slot Relocation Guide

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Oxzgen

Post by Oxzgen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Heyo,
Due to the fact that I have been getting private messages about my methods, I've decided to make a guide to EASILY relocate a cartridge slot without the mess of wires that would normally ensue a slot relocation. This method does away with the worry of broken wires, wiry messes, and the hassle of soldering wires to the N64. It should take roughly 10 to 20 minutes if you do it right, and will leave your project organized, looking clean and functioning great. I have included a few simple pictures for those of you who like pictures. So here it goes!

This mod required a few cheap parts:
a. SCSI ribbon cable (enough to move the cartridge where you want)
b. 3 SCSI female plugs
c. Two unshrouded terminal heads of 24 pins or greater (if longer than 24 pins, break it down to 24)
d. Your N64
e. Your cartridge slot.

Here is the method:
1. You need to get the two unshrouded terminal heads of 24 pins long each.
[EDIT >> Headers may be found here or similar if you think you can find them somewhere else]

2. Anyways, you obviously have to remove both the expansion and cartridge slots.

3. Then in the two outside rows of pinholes, you solder the terminal headers. The side of the motherboard you solder to depends on where you are doing to put the cartridge slot. I recommend soldering the headers to the back of the board, and fold the ribbon cable over to the other side and put the slot right in front of the memory expansion pak.

4. Once you have the pins in place and soldered, you need to get your three SCSI female plugs and some ribbon cable. Two of plugs go side-by-side onto the ribbon cable and the third goes a ways down the cable (again this depends on where you are going to have the cartridge slot) on the same side of the cable. I just pressed them onto the cable by placing the plugs on a sturdy flat surface and use a board of wood (for equal pressure along the whole plug) to press the wire onto the plugs. Don't press the wire directly onto the pins, make sure you put the top piece of the plug (the plug has the actual plug piece and then a protection strip to keep the wire on the plug << use the second piece) on top of the wire before you press down, because it will protect the pins on the plug from bending. There is a tool, but I really dont think you need it, as my way seems to work just as well.

5. Then the two plugs that are together go onto the pins in the motherboard. The other plug obviously goes onto the slot. When you first plug the slot into the plug, the pins may bend outwards a little. This is normal and is caused by the slot pins not having exactly the right amount of space between the pins. Be careful not to break a pin off the cartridge slot or you will need a new slot.

6. Now its a matter of figuring out which way you plug the game cartridge into the slot. It shouldn't hurt the N64 if you plug the cartridge in the wrong way, it just wont start the game. If it doesnt work one way, flip it around and try it again.

There it is; 6 easy steps. If anything is still unclear, dont hesitate to ask!

Here is a (crappy) picture of what it may look like when you are done. In this example, I simply rotated the slot from a vertical position to a horizontal position on the back of the N64. Ill update this picture with a new one of my current setup, which is a far better example.

Also, to any mods, maybe this would make a good sticky? I don't care if you do, I just believe that this method would be good for beginners and shouldnt be buried deep in the forum.
Last edited by Oxzgen on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Porta64~
Total: [0% | | | | | | | | | - 100%] 90%
- Case: [0% | | | | | - - - - - 100%] 50%
- Circuitry: [0% | | | | | | | | - - 100%] 85%

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Re: Oxzgen's Easy Cartridge Slot Relocation Guide

Post by Erlex » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 am

Very nice guide. The pictures in your WIP thread of the finished product look really good. Perhaps you should link some of them in this thread as well?

Oxzgen

Re: Oxzgen's Easy Cartridge Slot Relocation Guide

Post by Oxzgen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:20 pm

OK, I can do that!
Porta64~
Total: [0% | | | | | | | | | - 100%] 90%
- Case: [0% | | | | | - - - - - 100%] 50%
- Circuitry: [0% | | | | | | | | - - 100%] 85%