The Dreamcatcher...Dream Again!!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: The Dreamcatcher...Dream Again!!

Post by hailrazer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:30 pm

dragonhead wrote:i would advise against a widescreen dude. dreamcast games look effed up stretched. not to mention, i dont know if that screen can take the 640x480 signal from the DC. if you want it though...
I've played N64 , Dreamcast, Ps1 and PS2 on a 7" widescreen and it looks fine. If it looks stretched it is barely noticeable and the bigger screen totally makes up for it.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:50 pm

hailrazer wrote:
dragonhead wrote:i would advise against a widescreen dude. dreamcast games look effed up stretched. not to mention, i dont know if that screen can take the 640x480 signal from the DC. if you want it though...
I've played N64 , Dreamcast, Ps1 and PS2 on a 7" widescreen and it looks fine. If it looks stretched it is barely noticeable and the bigger screen totally makes up for it.
"fine" is subjective. personally, i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE stretched video. but thats just me.

good luck with the project dude. dont cut corners, okay?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 pm

dragonhead wrote:
"fine" is subjective. personally, i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE stretched video. but thats just me.

good luck with the project dude. dont cut corners, okay?
That's just cuz you don't want your pixelated vixens looking chunky. :P
Last edited by hailrazer on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks a bunch hailrazer, you seem to have all the answers!! xD By the way dragonhead, hadn't seen those designs...they are nice, but not quite...picture perfect xD I can confirm you the Dreamcatcher design is an original idea I've had in my head for a long time and no, I didn't need any inspiration from other sources -although obviously being an application of the original sega controller blueprint coincidences can occur.

Regarding the screen, it was pretty difficult to track but I found a supplier that has 7" latest generation LCD TFT modules with driver and keyboard boards. Four small button will allow screen image settings and contrast, brightness adjustments. So don't worry, the image *will not* be distorted when selecting 16:9 (Expand) display mode. The 4:3 option will be available when all the screen need to be previewed -displaying a square in the widescreen display with black bars at the sides. A total of 3 display modes: 4:3, 16:9 (Strech) and 16:9 (Expand). They could even be switched whie playing a game, as the scaling circuit is in the driver board and is independent from the system.

Have been designing the interior all day (and most of the night) and can tell it's very promising. I have done a scaled down, layered model...board by board (!) with original dimensions and characteristics. I can tell all fits beautifully, and it *will* be slimmer that anything you've seen. Also regarding signal outputting to the LCD, two different signals will be fed to the TFT panel: the VGA digital 480 pixels progressive scan output as well as an analog Y/C high quality signal. The purpose of this serves different functions, first of all take advantage of the driver boards inputs (as it drives VGA as well as Composite and Y/C). Second, and most important, is for switching -with just a small outside button- the input select of LCD to the analog high quality Y/C signal in case I am playing a game not compatible with VGA output. Switching back and forth will be possible and quite easy, also while the Dreamcatcher is on. And it is a luxury! having two signals with lots of different modes allow me to be sure I can get the best image quality out of this thing.

A composite video out connector socket will be included near the rear for connection to an external display (TV). The same digital/analog signal switch will send signal to this composite video out -when in analog mode. The rest will be VGA, 480p high definition for me xD.

This dual analog/digital signal also implies the need for a double stereo image input, one for VGA mode and one for Y/C (svideo) mode -without forgetting the headphones 3.5mm jack socket , so that is three pairs. I can get two stereo audio outputs out of my box, the ones for the screen, but will probably need a splitter to have the out for the headphones. Can't find anything apart from the typical .05 cent black plastic 3.5mm splitter xD But anyway, now that that is settled...I am now looking for the perfect speakers...

harman kardon's oem are hard to find xD

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:40 pm

ah, so its a smart screen.
for speakers, why not find a set of mini amplified speakers. ones with a built in amp. something like these
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/ac ... akers/md-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;