Power your VMU off USB!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

maty
Power your VMU off USB!

Post by maty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong board. There wasn't one for posting tutorials, or non-portable-console-conversion-hacks.

This is a (very) simple tutorial to show how to get your VMU alive and working without a dependency on expensive batteries or requiring a heafty 4x AA battery pack or similar.

This simple hack means you power up your VMU with a just a USB port. This does not allow your VMU to interface with your PC or similar, it just acts as a power source.

If anyone else has any similar VMU power-supply ideas, let me know :). I admit all that tape isn't glamarous, so I'm also open to suggestions with that too.

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Powered-VMU-hack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its nothing fancy, but it means I can look after my Chao without using up £10's worth of CR2032s...

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Re: Power your VMU off USB!

Post by Klaymator14 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 am

What a great idea! I never thought of that, I just did the mod, it works great! However, soldering the wires to the contacts would be a much better idea, then just insulating it with a small amount of tape. However, a great mod, and it works great! It's been the thing I have been looking for :D

-Blayke

PS: If you don't mind, we'd like to have you over at our new forums! This mod would definitely be appreciated there, if you want to join, click the logo in my sig.
Nothing to see here.

maty

Post by maty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 am

Awesome, I sure will :).

Yeh soldering would work better - but if its taped its easily replaced back for batteries, soldering the wires is a bit more permenant (but find if thats your needs :) )

Codemastershock
Steam ID:Codemastershock

Post by Codemastershock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the tip!
maty wrote: Yeh soldering would work better - but if its taped its easily replaced back for batteries, soldering the wires is a bit more permenant (but find if thats your needs :) )
You don't need to solder, only place the wires between the black screws that fits the connector. I put a USB plug in the bottom, to use it, only connect a USB cable. The battery slot is free to use anytime if a USB cord isn't connected.