AV out on Back of Dreamcast

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14
AV out on Back of Dreamcast

Post by Klaymator14 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 pm

I have been soldering wires to the pins on the AV out of the Dreamcast, however I did it on the pins on the outside of the plastic connector. However my wires keep coming loose, and I can't find a good way to keep it sealed with my hot glue. I am aware that there are solder dots on the underside of the Dreamcast board, and those would be far easier to solder on. However, I am not sure which pins match up to which. Anyone have a pinout on it? It would make my life a lot easier. Thanks!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

Axaj

Re: AV out on Back of Dreamcast

Post by Axaj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

There are no pinouts that I know of, but if you have a multimeter it should not take too long. But check the reference section first, just to be sure.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 pm

How would I check using a Multimeter?
Nothing to see here.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 pm

1: Set the multimeter to measure resistance.
2: Put one probe on one pin of the connector.
3: Put the other on one of the solder "dots" that the A/V out plug connects to.
4: Check the multimeter - if resistance is zero (or slightly higher), you've found a connection! Mark it down on a piece of paper (or equivalent).
5: If the multimeter can't make a complete connection (i.e. it acts as if the probes are unplugged), then try a different dot until success.
6: Post your findings in the reference section!
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks! That helped a lot! I was able to get it grounded. Now... I have one more problem, When I turn on my Dreamcast, a long with the screen, it gets a little wavy on the screen. Then, when it gets to the menu on the DC, it gets REALLY wavy and then starts losing color and then the screen goes totally black. Is this because I don't have a heatsink on the 7808 and it's getting too hot? Oh, and just to mention, this only happened with the GD-Rom board plugged in, without it it's fine, but stays on the Dreamcast swirl logo. I also tried hooking it up to my TV, it works fine, reads discs and everything, so it has to be something with my screen... any ideas?
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:56 am

Two things most likely.

1. Not enough power. This is the most likely culprit. You'll need a power supply with at least 2500 - 3000 ma.
2. Overheating 7808. Easy fix is putting a heatsink on it. I had theis problem with my Dcp and fixed it with a heatsink :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 am

I think you are right. I got that "CCTV 6800 mAH battery" that this one ebayer from Hong Kong claimed. Then they were lying about the mAH. Either that... or it's not charging. Because I have the battery hooked up to the charger, and the light is red, but it's weird, the light is red even when there is no battery hooked up... Anyway, I'll leave it on for hours, but the red light does not turn to green light, nor is there any heat on the battery pack.... what should I do?

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 am

Yea I have that battery to and I can't figure out how to charge it either. I plug it in with the switch on or off and all I get is a red light on both the battery and the charger. I've left it on over 24 hours both ways and no green light.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I found out, I contacted the seller, and they say you must turn on the battery while it's charging, when the green light is on while it's charging, it's working, if the green light is off, it's done charging, gonna charge it right now!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 am

A simple way to get AV out and VGA Out AND S-Video out:

Buy a dreamcast VGA Adapter. I got mine for $20 on craigslist and Oh my god, the picture is beautiful. (Dreamcast Supports 480p. VGA Monitor = 480p. Regular TV with AV in = 480i.)

Like, Sonic the Hedgehog and Crazy Taxi look so beautiful. And don't even get me started about Phantasy Star Online. Looks great too. Pick up one of these if your gonna be making a Dreamcast Laptop. As, the picture quality is so much better when going to a VGA Monitor. (Use a VGA monitor as the screen for the laptop.)

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Sounds like a plan, thanks a lot! I'll probably pick one up after I get a new battery... recommend any?

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 pm

don't waste money on a vga adapter. you can make your own for only the cost of a few very cheap parts.

I think all you need are a few diodes and three 220 uf capacitors.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/