Multimega / CDX: Joyport1 gone bad, A+B buttons errors

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

keropi
Multimega / CDX: Joyport1 gone bad, A+B buttons errors

Post by keropi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:10 am

EDIT:

I have edited the title, since I have concluded that Joyport1 has problematic A+B buttons. I have opened my multimega , and I see nothing wrong visually, I was hinted that maybe a cap is charging/discharging and that buttons A+B are controlled by the same logic...
some pics I took are here: http://rapidshare.com/files/293213770/k-multimega.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for now I have no idea what to check, maybe those black thingies next to the ports?

Hiya!!!!

I was playing Thunderforce and Contra on my Multimega and megadrive1, and I naturally kept pressing "B" for a long time continuously to shoot :mrgreen: ... but I noticed that after 4-5 minutes of pressing, the button just does not react... I need to leave it, press another and re-press it...
Is this normal? Tried both a 3button and 6button genuine sega pads, they behave the same.... :?: :?: :?: Is something broken?
Thanks!!!!
Last edited by keropi on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

keropi

Re: Genesis/CDX: pressing a pad button for a LONG time question

Post by keropi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am

I did some testing with Gunstar Heroes , it works fine, it seems this is game depended...
But I noticed something else: with the CDX, after pressing the button for ~5mins , and leave it, there is a 2-3secs delay, meaning that the character still shoots after I release the button for 2-3secs, like there is some sort of input buffer or something and it empties... something fishy going on I think, since this only happens with the CDX, the megadrive1 I have seems fine and instant.... :? :shock:

edit: yep, something fishy...
I was playing castlevania this time and I paused it for ~5mins or so... I unpaused and B was not responding, pressed it 4-5 times. Then pressed a couple of time A, it worked the second time and then B was working too. I did pause again on purpose and after 5mins I tried C. It worked first time OK , A+B where stuck again... B does not work EVER, unless it gets unstuck with pressing A twice. I wonder what are the controller caps on the mobo, maybe they have gone bad...:

edit2: I have tested with probotector: Pad1 has the problems described above, whereas pad2 works perfectly. No "memory" effect, no stuck , no nothing.... I also noticed that pad1 with the button B pressed, acted like I have pressed button A at the same time (change in fire mode, it has a screen visual to indicate that) and it appears that actually pressing it while B is pressed it does nothing , so all point that port1 has something wrong...