Running a Dreamcast Portable off of Battery

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14
Running a Dreamcast Portable off of Battery

Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:41 pm

I have ordered a PSone Screen, a PicoPSU, some helping hands, a Quantum controller, and all I need is a battery, and maybe a new iron since mine is almost at it's deathbed lol. I was looking at this battery,

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-CCTV-Camera- ... 2045wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this be sufficient to power a Dreamcast portable? I have seen that some people use a Smart charger with the battery. I would not need this correct? As this is a Li-ion battery. Now, would I be able to rig something up that allows me to charge and play it at the same time? And how would I wire the battery to a picoPSU? Would I just take the connector cable and wire it to the picoPSU, then just plug in the battery into that? I am not sure how to do it. I am sorry for all the noobiness, this is my first project, I am only 14, and I have been on these forums reading and stuff for almost a year, I've been sorta quiet, but I finally had the time and money to make this. So wish me luck and I hope you can help!
Last edited by Klaymator14 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Running a Dreamcast Portable off of Battery

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:11 am

That is not a Li-Po battery it is a Li-ion battery. :wink:

And yea it should be sufficient to power a Dcp. But just be aware that these are relatively new and the HK are notorious for lying about there mAh. So until it's been tested we really don't know if that is really the true mA rating.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Oh, so should I not buy it? Or shall I wait until someone on the forums confirms it first? Hasn't someone already bought one? Oh, and thanks for correcting me on the Li-Poly thing, I wasn't paying attention lol :D Thanks for your reply! I love your DreamTrooper by the way :) Thanks for all the help!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Klaymator14 wrote:Oh, so should I not buy it? Or shall I wait until someone on the forums confirms it first? Hasn't someone already bought one? Oh, and thanks for correcting me on the Li-Poly thing, I wasn't paying attention lol :D Thanks for your reply! I love your DreamTrooper by the way :) Thanks for all the help!

-Blayke
Well someone here already has one but I don't think they have tried to run anything on it to see how long it will last.

But it's cheap enough I guess you can buy it and be the guinea pig :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Hm.... ok. I'll try it out :P But if Hong Kong lied, then I will be very sad... lol. Thanks for your help! Also, I had an idea to attach solar cells to the back of my portable, and charge the battery using solar cells? Would that be possible? Or would it take too long to give the batteries any charge at all and just be a waste of money? I was looking at these solar cells

http://www.siliconsolar.com/flexible-so ... 16167.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you think :D

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Do you really want to go outside and stand in the sun to charge your batteries. LOL
My Portable Systems:

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey you never know... What if I were playing it outside for some reason? It would just be an alternative power source.... Actually... no... now that I think it over again, it's a really stupid idea lol! Ok, nevermind haha. Anyway, I'll go ahead and order the batteries! Thanks for all the input! I really hope to make this portable great! Oh, and my mom's friend owns a CNC machine, so I can get my designs to him and I'll get my case made from him! I'm pretty pumped about this, can't wait to be able to play MvC2 anywhere :P Oh, I will probably start a new thread at some point for a build log, and I'll try as hard as possible to make some kind of step by step instruction thing for people who always ask for those, and I know I will be able to do it because now I will have a lot of free time... haha.

-Blayke :)
Nothing to see here.

harkat82

Post by harkat82 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 am

im sure he dose and thats great now calm down and shut up!!
to portable and beyond

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Wow. I spent all that time writing that post to help you. Why are you being a jerk? I am definitely not helping you now, find your help from someone else, and don't be talking on my topic.

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Klaymator14 wrote:I have ordered a PSone Screen, a PicoPSU, some helping hands, a Quantum controller, and all I need is a battery, and maybe a new iron since mine is almost at it's deathbed lol. I was looking at this battery,

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-CCTV-Camera- ... 2045wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this be sufficient to power a Dreamcast portable? I have seen that some people use a Smart charger with the battery. I would not need this correct? As this is a Li-ion battery. Now, would I be able to rig something up that allows me to charge and play it at the same time? And how would I wire the battery to a picoPSU? Would I just take the connector cable and wire it to the picoPSU, then just plug in the battery into that? I am not sure how to do it. I am sorry for all the noobiness, this is my first project, I am only 14, and I have been on these forums reading and stuff for almost a year, I've been sorta quiet, but I finally had the time and money to make this. So wish me luck and I hope you can help!
Ok well this battery is a turd. They lied just a bit on the Amp Hours.

After three full charges and three drains I can confirm this battery is no more than a 650mA battery.

Tested with a Gamecube needing 1.5A. This battery will run it for less than 30 minutes on each test.

Stupid Hong Kong BS !!! :evil:
My Portable Systems:

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 pm

If that's the case then it must be a typo.

They say 6800

You say 650

They probably meant 680 and accidentally added the extra 0

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Pkmnjunky7 wrote:If that's the case then it must be a typo.

They say 6800

You say 650

They probably meant 680 and accidentally added the extra 0
Nope I emailed all three sellers that sell them and they ALL replied that it was a 6800mAh battery guaranteed.

Now if I just want to pay more than I bought it for to ship it back. LOL
My Portable Systems:

Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Yeah, this battery is a piece of crap, For some reason they even sent me another one, for free! It must've been a mistake order, but anyway, even hooked up in parallel, it's not enough power and it's too big... oh well. Any other batteries you recommend? Would these work? http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... arate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.